tricross gear cluster problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary in derby

just fixing a punture today and though while i was at it i would give the hub a good clean. and to my suprise found a tooth missing on the two smallest gears. Is this a common problem? only done about 400miles on it. any help advice most welcome. thanks in advance

Gary

Hi Gary,
By "hub" do you mean the cassette ( gear cogs on the back wheel)?
I am assuming so and no, it shouldn't happen.
What make and model ii it and was it both of the small cogs?

Prob worth a visit back to the supplier unless its had a clonk.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hi Gary,
By "hub" do you mean the cassette ( gear cogs on the back wheel)?
I am assuming so and no, it shouldn't happen.
What make and model ii it and was it both of the small cogs?

Prob worth a visit back to the supplier unless its had a clonk.

+1
It should not happen and unless you have banged the cassette they should not break, i get a year out of a chain+cassette on the commuter .You could try taking it to the shop you bought it from if you think you can prove its down to material faliure rather than "normal wear"

OP
OP
gary in derby

gary in derby

thanks guys, no its not been knocked. on close inspection(got magnifying glass out) it seems that they may not have been there in the first place. though dont know if i can prove it. thing is i got the bike online, so will be giving them a call today as not a happy cyclist. hi tony yes did mean the rear cassette and yes both of the smallest cogs. will let you know what happens.
cheers gary

OP
OP
gary in derby

gary in derby

well, have spoken to supplier, and told that they are designed that way. hyperglide. to aid shifting. so looked on the net for a picture and low and behold tooth missing. oh well, something else learned today. thanks for all your help.

gary

Gary
Tooth completely missing - seems odd?!
There should be a cutaway or "lift" down the side of two teeth on the smaller rings to aid shifting, but never come across teeth completely missing.

Seems I may be mistaken, sorry

OP
OP
gary in derby

gary in derby

not completely missing, looked like they had sheared off. should have taken a picture. sorry if i misled anyone.

No worries mate

Top Bottom