Tried a few hills tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well instead of normal 15 miles up the dual carrageway with a few gentle climbs I decided to go on the back roads and tackle a few hills. That got the heart rate up I was gasping for air by the time I got to the top of some of them. Nearly didnt think I was going to make one but kept it going.
The main plan with the new bike on the horizion was to see how I manged a few hills with a double because I was debating about going for a triple. I guess with a triple you wouldnt need to get out the saddle much but to be honest I enjoy that so a double it is

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I always take the back roads if I can. Not because I like hills (I don't) but because it's much nicer away from the traffic.
Keep climbing and it'll get easier...hopefully. Don't do yourself in though - if you keep on struggling you could maybe change the cassette to one with a bigger cog.
If you're getting a new bike a triple might be worth considering, best thing to do is try a compact and a triple and see which you like best before you buy.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Depends what chainring/cassette you are currently using - with a bit of practice a 39 small front and 27 or 28 tooth rear sprocket should get you up most hills.

If this is too much consider a compact.

walker

swapping your current bike to a triple will be costly, as you will need new gear changers too.
I personally would'nt bother though and go with the adivce that is above, unless your over 60 years old hill's do and will get easier

OP
OP
captainhastings
Well I have a nice defy 2 now which I tried on the hills for the first time tonight my first hill was 197 feet over a .65 of a mile no idea what that is in % more than likely nothing to you chaps but it had me puffing yet the compact gears made it possible with out bother.
After the first hill once the legs got warmed the rest were quite easy. I enjoy exerting my self on the bike but as its cross training for the running I can never max out because running the next day with dead legs aint fun.
Anyway top bike and well chuffed :thumbsup:

Top Bottom