Triggers broom.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greasy Gilbert

I know nothing so feel free to contradict me.
Forgive me if this has been covered before but does anyone else own the bicycle equivalent of Triggers Broom?
It occurred to me this morning when I was out on my old Pinnacle hybrid, that I, in fact, did.
It's ten years old and through just normal daily commuting wear and tear, the only original parts on it are the frame and forks.
Time passes by and you forget how much time and money you put into a bike.

View: https://youtu.be/LAh8HryVaeY?si=cPEgQnaZWjQd5lij

Slick

Guru
Unfortunately, I don't own it anymore but the first bike I bought to get back into cycling and help keep me off cigarettes was exactly that with the frame the only original part. It kind of chartered my knowledge at the time, as it started out as a pretty cheap BSO that I soon realised required much better component parts to do what I wanted to do. I do remember the wheels being made of cheese, and the fact that spokes were springing on me was absolutely, categorically nothing to do with the weight it was carrying.:shy: Once I upgraded everything, I realised that I would have been much cheaper buying a better bike, so I gave my BSO to a friend at work to pass on to someone else to get them back into cycling.

My first commuter bike I took commuting seriously on was, think it had a full replacement of drivetrain, wheels, seat, pedals, brakes and many many sets of pads (it was rim brake and muck would kill the pads quickly). My last two I haven't replaced as many parts though I accept I don't do the mileage I used to and they are better quality bikes.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes
My old boardman alloy road comp , the only original parts are the bars, frame and fork and those have been resprayed.

Giant compact road retro mod build frame and forks are the only parts left

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My Spa Steel Audax still has the original frame, fork, brakes, seat post and mudguards. Everything else has been replaced, often multiple times.

This isn't always down to be necessity. Often just due to me just fiddling around. I did replace the brakes for a bit, but put the old ones back on.

Oh and the little barrel adjuster thingies on the down tube. They are original too.

Sharky

Guru
I may have a true "Trigger's Broom".

Back in about 2003, I was down to one bike and was coming out of a "retirement" from cycling. I had started a new job, a mere 12 miles away and I decided to start commuting by bike. Alas, the bike I had, had a failure, with the seat stays rusting through and snapping.

So I bought a Decathlon Sport 2, for a mere £270.
I obviously had to fit my own pedals and saddle, and I didn't like the deep drop bars, so they were replaced.
My mileage went up very quickly and I wore out the BB and I changed the tripple crankset to a double. The stock wheels it came with was a bit naff, so when I saw a bargain set of askiums, they went on the bike. The original gear was campag 9 speed, so when changing the wheels, I went to SRAM 10 speed. Then Ribble were doing a deal for their "Blue" winter frame and forks for about £140!

I think the seat post is still from Decathlon.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have owned one of those. The bike(s) I rode all the way from my teens to thirties had various common components - brakes, brake levers and gear levers, but not frame.

Thinking about it, that bike, in tatty old wreck form, went off to @biggs682 about 10 years ago.

I think he put some new parts on it and sold it on as a commuter. That commuter still has the soul of the wreck of a 5 speed racer I bought for £5 in about 1976 that started my road bike career. But absolutely no parts. As it was fitted with Benelux gears when I got it, I think it was originally born in the early 60s. So if @biggs682 's customer may be riding round on a bike with a 60 year lineage.

I've still got the Karrimor rack in my garage. I could seed a new family branch using that.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My old Puch Pacemaker, that I got when I was 14. I saved for months and months.
My dad had a bike and fishing shop, which was handy for general maintenance and bits. By the time that bike got stolen out of my shed, many years later - I must have been 28, 29 or so by then, - it had the original bars and the original saddle but that was about it. It still had a Pacemaker frame but not the one it was born with. It was still my bike though. By that time, it was my winter bike.

Sharky

Guru
Back in the days of hand built frames, it was quite common to upgrade your bikes over several years. New wheels one year, then a new frame the next with components being transferred across or replaced when worn out.

So there were plenty of trigger's brooms in those days.

simongt

Guru
My GT Outpost had pretty much everything except the frame changed / upgraded in it's 23 year life as my everyday rain hail & shine commuter, so I long ago gave up even trying to estimate how much more than the original cost I'd spent on those various bits & bobs - ! :laugh:
But in reality, as the frame is the heart of any bike, as long as you're happy with the frame's handling, how many of us would then say ahh, this bike has now cost me the equivalent of it's purchase price, therefore I'm going to get rid of it as it's no longer cost effective to maintain it. :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thinking about it, that bike, in tatty old wreck form, went off to @biggs682 about 10 years ago.

I think he put some new parts on it and sold it on as a commuter. That commuter still has the soul of the wreck of a 5 speed racer I bought for £5 in about 1976 that started my road bike career. But absolutely no parts. As it was fitted with Benelux gears when I got it, I think it was originally born in the early 60s. So if @biggs682 's customer may be riding round on a bike with a 60 year lineage.

I've still got the Karrimor rack in my garage. I could seed a new family branch using that.

Yes it got powder coated black and built up then sold on

Top Bottom