Triggers broom.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
It's ten years old and through just normal daily commuting wear and tear, the only original parts on it are the frame and forks.
The only original parts on my Horizon are the mudguards (and don't they show it), the brakes, brake levers (but not hoods), and the seat pin. The frame was the first to go, at a fortnight and 159 miles old it was replaced before I'd even had the first puncture. It's 23 years old next month (but only ridden for 19), with 45,743.9 miles on the clock.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Bought a new Ribble CGR Ti about 5 years ago, the only remaining original parts are the shifters and the fork. The frame was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and everything else has been upgraded or replaced through wear and tear. I didn't realise this until I read this thread and thought about it, it just kind of sneaks up on you!

the snail

Guru
If you have completely rebuilt your Dawes Discovery 701, changing everything on it except the F&F and having those powder coated, and then you change the fork, have you still got a Dawes Discovery 701?

Asking for a friend.

I suppose once you've changed all the original parts, you could get them out of the parts bin and reconstitute the original bike?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If you have completely rebuilt your Dawes Discovery 701, changing everything on it except the F&F and having those powder coated, and then you change the fork, have you still got a Dawes Discovery 701?

Asking for a friend.

Now that is a philosophical of the type beloved by Ancient Greeks. Except they used the example of a ship. If a part of a ship goes rotten and you repair it, and keep the rotten bits, over the course of the years you replace the whole ship and then build up another ship out of the rotten bits, which one, if any, is the true ship?
No, me neither.

My old Ti Kinesis was built out of the parts of its predecessor a scandium kinesis that cracked after 25,000miles. They parts were replaced a few times but I've still got the ti frame sitting there and I've an inkling to rebuild it and do 9,000 miles on it to round it up to 50,000. That would kinda make it a triggers broom.

OP
OP
Greasy Gilbert

Greasy Gilbert

I know nothing so feel free to contradict me.
Now that is a philosophical of the type beloved by Ancient Greeks. Except they used the example of a ship. If a part of a ship goes rotten and you repair it, and keep the rotten bits, over the course of the years you replace the whole ship and then build up another ship out of the rotten bits, which one, if any, is the true ship?
No, me neither.
Whooooaaaahhh! How did we go from Trigger to the ancient Greeks?
Surely the real question there is, which of the ships would you keep for sailing to a coffee shop on a Sunday with your mates and which you would keep for a winter hack?

Chris S

Legendary Member
I bought this Raleigh in 2010. It was far too small for me and the extended seat-post bent under my weight.

small.JPG

I then bought a scrap Raleigh Chiltern for £18 and put the wheelset and working mechanical parts on it from my other bike.

middle.JPG

Since then I've changed the wheelset again, this time for an alloy one. I've also replaced the stem, seat and all the serviceable parts. So yes, it is a Trigger's Broom.

big.JPG

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not really; probably as a result of being too much of a tart / taking too much care / largely being a fair-weather rider / not doing so many miles / spreading them out over multiple bikes..

Besides, with most of the stable being steel I expect the frames to outlast the universe; so little chance of a true Trigger's broom.

I guess the closest I've come to it is my old Giant OCR - new tyres due to wear, new wheels and shifters after some daft trout ran me over, new chain and cassette because 20-odd-year-old-me didn't understand chain wear / maintenance, new calipers as 20-odd-year-old-me had yet to develop a feel for tightening torques, new bars and stem as the originals could only work for a hyper-bendy racing snake, and presumably after selling it (with full disclosure) a new frame due to the two fat cracks that appeared in, and propagated from the seatpost tube / top tube weld..

So that leaves what; fork, seat, seatpost, crankset, FD, RD, pedals, bar tape..

Hoping for better from my current crop; naively or otherwise :smile:

Top Bottom