Trike on A82

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
15.5 mph is the speed limit to which a legal motor-assist can power you * - but there's nothing to stop you going faster, but you'll just be using your own leg power.

*you can modify many of the electric motor systems to provide electric assist to a higher speed - but that's a mod that produces something other than a road-legal e-bike/pedelec.
I used a GTech electric assist and I found that I was consistently going at higher speeds than the motor gave.
The USA I think has higher legal speed limits for e bikes and trikes.
I do not have any assist on my own trike but if the motor can put you over 25kph you then become a scooter or something similar and that seems to be a bit of a legal jungle requiring insurance and VED.

Velomobiles do not necessarily have electric assist. Unassisted they are, I am told, well capable of 30 on the flat, and on gently rolling terrain.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Velomobiles do not necessarily have electric assist. Unassisted they are, I am told, well capable of 30 on the flat, and on gently rolling terrain.
A super human perhaps, but the speed record for a velomobile is 89.59 mph. I think that would be utterly terrifying...

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How long could they sustain that speed? To get where he was reported he would have already travelled at least 30 miles and some of it on a long upward drag. He has another 25 miles or so to get home and another steeper hill to climb.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have had conversations with timber lorry drivers. One quite openly said he would swipe me off the road if I got in his way. Real knuckle dragger.

All talk, unless you can point me to statistics on accidents involving timber lorries showing otherwise.

There are limited potential overtaking spots on that road. I'm wondering how visible this would be from an overtaking vehicle point of view, particularly in relation t pulling back in.

Top Bottom