Trike or velomobile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
Most velomobiles are trikes of course, but you know what I mean. Don't think I can justify having both so which? Velomobiles are expensive, heavy and fragile but provide speed on flats and downhills and weather protection. Maybe some protection in the event of a collision too. Trikes are cheaper, lighter and fast on downhills but you get wet feet and in winter cold feet with them. Most velomobiles are full suspension. The full suspension ICE and HPV trikes are most of the cost of a velomobile. Not sure.

starhawk

Well it would depend what time of year you ride, I'm a summerbiker so I'm happy with my trike, but if I where a all-round-year biker a velomobile would be a good choice, or you could go for a shell so you can be a triker in the summer and a velomobilist the rest of the year.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
It would certainly be for all year round use. The other consideration is being able to leave it in a public place for the day whilst working and to return to it with the expectation that it won't have been damaged.

Last edited:

starhawk

Would expect a velomobile to be safer then a trike in a public place, there are lots of small things on a trike that can be pilfered a velo on the other hand can be locked keeping your things reasonable safe

MarkF

Guru
I've only seen a velomobile on holidays in The Netherlands, never ever seen one in the UK, I would love to try one and think they are beautiful. For that reason I say go for the velomobile. :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A guy I sometimes see round here has a yellow one, he seems to be shifting at a fair rate of knots on the flat. I've never had a chance to speak to him as we have always been going in opposite directions.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I know of "Johnsosore" the guy in Chichester who bought the green Rotovelo reviewed in VeloVision. Might try to get in touch to have a closer look. I have also seen a yellow Mango or Quest going in the other direction on the A3 north of Portsmouth towards Waterlooville but don't know who that was. And there's "HedgeHog" with the white Go-One 3 in the Southampton area. So I wouldn't be the only velonaut in the area ^_^

I have Johns email address , We met up the last time we went caravaning down in Selsey , we were on the 20/20 e-trikes

JP facebook.jpg

He has been down to LeMans in it a couple of months ago , great chap to talk to but a little slow in answering emails

I am still playing with the idea of a home built 4 wheeled velo hence the trike to quad conversion ,

It is only a prototype for the real thing but I want to get it right before I start the "proper job "
WP_20151029_003.jpg

Currently we are sorting out all the little problems before we start to build a new chassis and start from scratch and fit the body shell , A friend of mine has a Fantoms nephew ( an offshoot of the fantom ) he has built and motorized with 2 dickie seats for his sons . he is in Sweden here is a photo
he used a ply and glass fibre coating for his bodyshell and it featured in a Swedish newspaper .
hapsvelo.jpg

regards emma

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I couldn't bring myself to buy a velomobile because of their weight, fragility and cost. The Alleweder A4 and Rotovelo are adequately robust but both heavier than I would like. The Rotovelo ticks many of my boxes despite having no suspension, but the cost is 5999 euros.So I've ordered a trike. Would anyone like to guess what it is?

starhawk

I use a 250W assist to go up hills but I dont have a velo, I just don't like creeping up hills. A velo is very convenient if it starts to rain but as I ride in the summer it kind of shuts you in, you loose that feeling of being "in the experience" which I love.

Top Bottom