Trike or velomobile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'm an all year round commuter. Obviously I prefer to ride in warm sunshine, but it's amazing how comfortable you can be in the most horrendous conditions if you have the right gear. I've switched from the Rapto to the Trice for Winter, and with a Windwrap front fairing to keep the feet warm, thermal clothing, neck tube etc I've survived what the British weather has thrown at me. Obviously, if funds permitted I'd have a nice Mango Sport or similar, but I'm restricted to 2nd hand trikes. And I love it!!!!

starhawk

Then have a winter velo and a summer trike perhaps ?

:hyper:.........Then you get the best of both worlds

:cheers:

regards emma

Well the thought has occurred to me, but I dont cycle that much and winter cycling is not appealing to me, I like it when it is warm and sunny outside and winter is just a cold dark period you have to endure until it is summer again :wahhey:

byegad

Legendary Member
Depends how fast you really are.

I'm a plodder, built for comfort rather than speed. I average 10mph on a good day so for me I doubt I'd get the benefits a velomobile 'guarantees'. I'd say if you average 15mph or more you'll cash in on the aero benefits and these will more than make up for the extra weight on hills. IF I lived somewhere flat, like Norfolk or York, then I'd have bought a velomobile years ago, but County Durham has a plentiful supply of 'Geography' to deal with and lugging the weight up some of those would wipe out any benefit I'd get.

starhawk

byegad: According to your definition I am also a plodder, nice to hear that the velo is nothing for us, my main concern is that I loose that "being in the enviroment" feeling if you get a shell. And the only benefit is shelter from the rain, but I don't take my trike out if it's looking like rain.

starbug

Regular
Veltop for recumbents is a good thing, if you cant make your mind up, this is fixed to your trike has a fairing and canopy with very good cover/protection from the elements, although not recommended for use in very strong winds, just a thought i have one but not used yet but reviews are very good about them..

DaddyPaddey

I've been using a Streamer on the Scorpion. Think it looks a bit naff but works really well keeping the old tooties dry, as I pointed out to all those 'upwrong' riders who were complaining about cold wet feet a couple of weekends ago!

Top Bottom