Trinny's Nipples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
OOOH;)

In MRI, with the strong magnetic fields ,these piercings can be a problem. They have to be removed. One chap came for a scan and had one of these in. He had only just had it and wasn't sure if he could remove it or not. It was possible that it was a safe type of metal (not attracted to a magnetic field), but to find that out we need to test it with a magnet. So my colleague (I wasn't there that day!) was going to have to wave a magnet in front of it to see if it was attracted to the magnetic field (i.e. rise towards the magnet). Before he had to do this, the chap with the piercing managed to take it out. So no need to check.

To this day I love winding my colleague up: Is that piercing magnetic, or are you just pleased to see me! :sad::biggrin:

twowheelsgood

magnatom said:
In MRI, with the strong magnetic fields ,these piercings can be a problem. They have to be removed. One chap came for a scan and had one of these in. He had only just had it and wasn't sure if he could remove it or not. It was possible that it was a safe type of metal (not attracted to a magnetic field), but to find that out we need to test it with a magnet. So my colleague (I wasn't there that day!) was going to have to wave a magnet in front of it to see if it was attracted to the magnetic field (i.e. rise towards the magnet). Before he had to do this, the chap with the piercing managed to take it out. So no need to check.

To this day I love winding my colleague up: Is that piercing magnetic, or are you just pleased to see me! ;):biggrin:

Most piercing are medical stainless steel, which isn't magnetic.

Hehe...yeah, I had to take a piercing out in hospital...was quite funny, I'd never removed it and couldn't get it out, so I got the poor consultant to do it, ball flew off and landed in a kidney dish at the other end of the room (had resigned myself to buying a new one, but somehow it shot just into the right spot), then he had to put it back in at the end and ended up with half his latex glove stuck in it, so I had a piece of flapping latex that wouldn't come off hanging off my private parts... The nurses were laughing their heads of and telling him to start a piercing removal / fitting business as a sideline... It was hilarious (but I think you had to be there) ;)

Jaded

Patrick Stevens said:
I'd rather have ones of Trinny's nipples than of penis piercings.

Even if they are reported to be about the same size!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Disgruntled Goat said:
How do they manage to make a ferrous alloy non magnetic then?

BTW this thread is useless without pictures.

By quenching it from different temperatures to solidify different phases; stainless is usually austenitic and non-magnetic, others e.g. chromoly are martensitic and magnetic. Or something like that- i can't be arsed to look it up properly mind.

Chris James

Über Member
dan_bo said:
By quenching it from different temperatures to solidify different phases; stainless is usually austenitic and non-magnetic, others e.g. chromoly are martensitic and magnetic. Or something like that- i can't be arsed to look it up properly mind.

Heat treatment and different alloying mixtures affect the stable phases. For example I seem to recall that the high level of nickel (typically approx 8%) in many stainless steels is the reason why austenite forms rather than ferrite or martensite.

Anyway, as dan_bo says, steels do not have to be magnetic. Most stainlesses aren't.

Milo

Guru
punkypossum said:
Hehe...yeah, I had to take a piercing out in hospital...was quite funny, I'd never removed it and couldn't get it out, so I got the poor consultant to do it, ball flew off and landed in a kidney dish at the other end of the room (had resigned myself to buying a new one, but somehow it shot just into the right spot), then he had to put it back in at the end and ended up with half his latex glove stuck in it, so I had a piece of flapping latex that wouldn't come off hanging off my private parts... The nurses were laughing their heads of and telling him to start a piercing removal / fitting business as a sideline... It was hilarious (but I think you had to be there) ;)
Oh my.

punkypossum said:
Hehe...yeah, I had to take a piercing out in hospital...was quite funny, I'd never removed it and couldn't get it out, so I got the poor consultant to do it, ball flew off and landed in a kidney dish at the other end of the room

The left or the right? ;)

Top Bottom