Tripadvisor Reviews unbelievable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

People get paid to leave reviews, some of them get paid to leave bad ones, and others are just lifeless air wasters sitting in their mums room in their pants eating Dominoes and chuckling to themselves.

classic33

Leg End Member
Didn’t someone put up a bad review for Snowden as there were no public loo’s on top of a mountain, should have realised if caught short hill walking your going to have to do a ”wild one” always recommended to take a trowel with you.:eek: And some paper too
There used to be one in the building that the cafe was in, but it went to staff only.

Not certain there's enough privacy on any path to the summit of Snowdon to be able to use a trowel.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Didn’t someone put up a bad review for Snowden as there were no public loo’s on top of a mountain, should have realised if caught short hill walking your going to have to do a ”wild one” always recommended to take a trowel with you.:eek: And some paper too
It's not hill walking if you're taking the train to a cafe. Aren't cafes required to provide toilets? I'm thinking especially of the infirm or disabled who may enjoy a railway trip to the summit but be uncomfortable widdling in the wild.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
@Joey Shabadoo post brought these to mind.
Our son runs a pub/restaurant. Its not a 2 for £10 place and gets good reviews.
But 2 recent ones made me cringe.
1. A guy compained that the grains of salt were too fine so gave it a poor review.
2. A woman who admits she has never been said that someone who had been told her that on his visit it was quiet. On that basis she decided it must be poor and put the lowest review possible.
Why do people do that ??

IMHO, reviews can be helpful, but, in general:

Any bad review, I normally check the reviewer's other reviews, to see if they are a serial complainer.

Any exceptionally glowing reviews, I again check the Review's other reviews, to attempt to spot if they a reviewer for hire.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Personally I will only leave a review if the quality and service truly deserve this. I like to reward the people who deserve it.

Very, very occasionally I will review a bad place but only if it's clear other reviews are fabricated, advertising is misleading or the place has almost literally peed on my chips!

Generally I find it quite easy to sift through reviews and find genuine ones which give an insight in to the establishment.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
When looking at TA reviews I do like the ones that have owner responses on them as it shows a truer picture.
I had a bad experience with this, as IIRC the owner can reply but you can't then reply to the owner's answer (I suppose to prevent lengthy back-and-forths). We ate at a pub in my home town, Sunday roast, it was absolutely disgusting. You needed a chainsaw to cut the meat, the veg had all been re-heated in the oven so was dry and tasteless. When we complained they did nothing about it (we were the only ones eating in the whole place). I left a polite but accurately negative review and the owner came back with something like "we were sorry to hear this but not sure why you're complaining as you had your meals for free". Which was a complete lie because we paid in full, were not offereed a discount and only had a £10 voucher which we'd brough in ourselves, and was valid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For my brother's stag do, the best man used Trip Adviser to plan our 3 days away in Budapest - worked very well. Started the first day at Karavan Club for food, then one of the ruin bars - loved it. evening meal was a top restaurant near the Jewish Quarter - was a bit fancy for two of the lads who just had chips and chicken :eek: (cavemen) then next night was a really fancy burger bar - you watched your burgers being cooked on a big screen !

I also used Trip Adviser to plan my 50th Birthday visit to Prague, and picked out some really good restaurants and bars. Planned out the 5 days.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
There used to be one in the building that the cafe was in, but it went to staff only.

Not certain there's enough privacy on any path to the summit of Snowdon to be able to use a trowel.
I would hope visitors to Snowden would be a bit more savvy then fouling the footpath, but in the wilds, with no one about, it’s your only option if you’ve got to go.

classic33

Leg End Member
I wonder what any Trip Adviser reviews of Cyclechat would read like?
"CycleChat continues to pull the most punters, but it too is not a patch on its glory years, at least for forum connoisseurs. Some soldier bravely on, and there are doubtless stars I haven’t seen. But from where I’m standing, there’s no there there. Which is a highly personal interpretation of blah.

Yacf is superior to CycleChat in the metrics that matter to me: better writing (in part because most of CC’s best & brightest have left the building); probably better moderation; administrators who, whatever else I may think of them, have a passion for cycling."

Top Bottom