Triple Chainset Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some knowledge, please. I am toying with the idea of fitting a triple chainset to my Majestic. I currently have a 48-36, with a 14-28, 5speed cassette. The bottom bracket is a cup-and-cone. What are the considerations? Thank you.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BB axle length and clearance from the drive side. Front shifter type and capacity.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Think about whether you want to retain the cup and cone BB or replace it with a cartridge. Easier to get the right axle length, but would entail removing the fixed cup, a job which might be quite easy... and might not.

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you have a mounted bench vice, you'll probably be OK to remove the fixed cup - you can clamp the cup in the vice and turn the frame to unscrew it. If you're using a spanner you may struggle! Otherwise, exactly as @mjray says.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I'm assuming you live somewhere hilly and want a smaller inner ring to help. Removing drive side cups aren't too bad if you can stop the spanner from slipping off and have a good size cheater bar to go over the spanner. I usually keep the spindle in the bott bracket and use the nut/bolt with some washers to stop the spanner from coming off. Also keep the wheels on as it's easier to keep the bike upright whilst using the cheater bar for leverage. Once you've cracked loose the fixed cup remove the washers and extract.

One other consideration is that you may also need a long cage rear derallieur as well.

This is something I've been pondering with mine, whoever thought 28 rear and 36 front would be enough with a full load? Hills must've been much smaller in olden days! :smile:

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
This is something I've been pondering with mine, whoever thought 28 rear and 36 front would be enough with a full load? Hills must've been much smaller in olden days! :smile:
I'm assuming you live somewhere hilly and want a smaller inner ring to help. Removing drive side cups aren't too bad if you can stop the spanner from slipping off and have a good size cheater bar to go over the spanner. I usually keep the spindle in the bott bracket and use the nut/bolt with some washers to stop the spanner from coming off. Also keep the wheels on as it's easier to keep the bike upright whilst using the cheater bar for leverage. Once you've cracked loose the fixed cup remove the washers and extract.

One other consideration is that you may also need a long cage rear derallieur as well.
Is the fixed cup a standard RH thread, or does it follow the direction of the pedals?

Top Bottom