Triple chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris1867

I've just bought a 8 speed triple chainset 2013 Cannondale Synapse from a friend for £200. It has had surprisingly little use and is in quite good condition apart from a bit of grunge and grime which I can clean off.

I have changed the wheel-set over from my old Giant Rapide which is a 9 speed (the free hub body is the same size).

So I'm still running a nine speed bike.

Can I run/transfer the 9 speed triple chainset from my Giant on the 8 speed Cannondale? (does that make sense?)

The Cannondale is going to be my winter/work hack so I don't get my newer road bike all filthy all the time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did something similar but it was simple for me because my Campagnolo left shifter works with double or triple chainsets. I suspect that a Shimano STI shifter from a bike with a double chainset might NOT work with a triple... @Yellow Saddle?

OP
OP
C

Chris1867

They're both triple chain sets, is there much difference in the width of the chain rings. Logic would dictate not as long as I'm using a nine speed chain.

si_c

Guru
The 9 speed triple will work on an 8 speed bike as the spacing is the same.

You'll need to move the bottom bracket over and possibly reindex the front derailleur too.

Not worth the bother imo.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
So... to clarify you've swapped your old wheels to the "new" Cannondale but have removed the old bike's original 9sp cassette and refitted the 8sp jobbie to the old wheels now fitted to the Cannondale...?

On top of that you now want to swap your triple chainset from your old bike onto the new Cannondale..?

First question is why? I'm sure you have your reasons but some additional info might help.

Secondly it might help some to know what the groupsets are - I'm guessing both Shimano, probably Sora or Tiagra..?

Top Bottom