Triple dropping straight to small ring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What has been discussed is that stainless steel cables do not stretch at all.
All materials stretch when a strain is induced therein. A cable stretches every time it is operated and returns to its original dimension when the lever is released (removing the tension). Which is why I said: "they stretch the same amount every time (the same amount of) tension is applied". Take your point about the outers grooving, which is why it's prudent to change outers at the same time one changes the inner.

mythste

Veteran
All materials stretch when a strain is induced therein. A cable stretches every time it is operated and returns to its original dimension when the lever is released (removing the tension). Which is why I said: "they stretch the same amount every time (the same amount of) tension is applied". Take your point about the outers grooving, which is why it's prudent to change outers at the same time one changes the inner.

Not sure I agree on this (though I suppose it's irrelevant to the OP but I find these topics interesting!)

So you're suggesting that stainless steel shows elastic properties under the loads that a derailleur requires? I'm sceptical. Be curious to see what @Yellow Saddle thinks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes. Young's Modulus for stainless steel is circa 200 GPa, so 10 kg wt (force) would stretch the cable 2 nanometres (if the cable was 1m long (say)), if I've got my assumptions and maths right. And then return to its original length when the tension is released. You may accuse me of splitting hairs: but this is in quite a different league!

It is a lot easier to set up a triple set up correctly with an inline adjuster in place

View attachment 152919
Been looking for one, though managed last time to, by mistake, buy a thing which slots into a downtube cable stop, which I don't have.

Can you recommend such a thing? with link if possible?

I have heard some folk criticise them though? Introducing an extra complication/somewhere for muck and water to enter the system maybe?

U

User6179

Been looking for one, though managed last time to, by mistake, buy a thing which slots into a downtube cable stop, which I don't have.

Can you recommend such a thing? with link if possible?

I have heard some folk criticise them though? Introducing an extra complication/somewhere for muck and water to enter the system maybe?

I just used one off a brake at the downtube stop .

U

User6179

sorry, don't understand this. That pic looks like something totally in-line, no stop.

Sorry ,that was just a pic off google search for the OP , not mine , I just used a brake adjuster on the downtube stop.

U

User6179

sorry, don't understand this. That pic looks like something totally in-line, no stop.

Google shimano sm-ca70

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
To revisit this, this video show me clicking the shifter to the big ring then clicking down just once but as I release the downshift it clicks again and releases all tension on the cable as if something is worn or broken in the shifter and is not engaging in the middle ring postion like it's skipping over a worn stop.

View: https://youtu.be/FOpT-PuIEWs

Top Bottom