Triple or compact?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

Have a search - an often asked question.

In summary; it depends on your fitness, your preference, your terrain, your bike and the type of riding you're expecting to do.

SWSteve

Guru
I bought cheapest in the range, and as a result have a triple. I am happy with this though as some of the hills near me are ridiculous. I don't spend much time in the very bottom gear when climbing, but there are times when it's needed and I am thankful.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
same as the comments above

the type of chainset your require will be based on riding type, fitness, terrain etc. i live in a very hilly area and love the fact i have a triple, cause the hills i have to climb on some rides would be brutal for me at my weight

I'd happily ride both (compact and tripple) regardless of the terrain but I'm fairly fit. The fit of the bike is more important to me; fashion/availability dictates 90% of the time that its a double or compact but I found the 42t middle ring of a tripple more convenient for riding in a group; the 34, 36 or 38t compact is too small for me.

Alun

Guru
I'd happily ride both (compact and tripple) regardless of the terrain but I'm fairly fit. The fit of the bike is more important to me; fashion/availability dictates 90% of the time that its a double or compact but I found the 42t middle ring of a tripple more convenient for riding in a group; the 34, 36 or 38t compact is too small for me.
What type of triple do you have, that has a 42t middle ring? All the (road) ones that I have seen are 50-39-30.

What type of triple do you have, that has a 42t middle ring? All the (road) ones that I have seen are 50-39-30.
I got a 52-40-30, though I did have a 48-38-26 for a while, this helped me to increase my fitness so I could then go back to the 52-40-30, but I have gone through a range of rear ratios, which I am about to change again as I have quite a jump from 18-21 (currently 12/14/16/18/21/24/28 the 30x28 was the same as 26x24), I am now at the point where I don't use the 28 on my rides so I can fit a closer set of ratios.

[QUOTE 2467857, member: 30090"]Go with a compact. If you had a triple you'd only want to change it anyway given time once you get fitter.[/quote]
Can't see why.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have a triple on my hybrid - I don't think I have ever used the granny ring, and a compact on the road bike, I find the road bike is much easier to ride on the hills. (or what passes for hills around here)

Alun

Guru
[QUOTE 2467877, member: 30090"]
For the sake of 4 GI (or 10 GI if you want do run an MTB set up on a road bike) you'd rather have a triple and go though the hassle of installing and indexing a triple front mech and more importantly installing a medium or long cage rear mech. :eek: Do you have any idea the stigma attached to riding a bike with such a set up or how out of place a long cage rear mech looks on a road bike!:thumbsup:
Man up, fit a compact and attack those hills! :smile:[/quote]
I guess these two just don't realise the stigma involved in having a long cage rear mech.
http://road.cc/content/news/36222-giro-tech-millar-goes-all-mtb
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/contador-rides-srams-new-wifli-red-at-vuelta-35156/
Still, they'll have mechanics to go through the hassle of "installing" them.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I run both and in many ways the triple is a far smoother drive train than the compact. What I mean by that is the jumps between gears. On a triple you get the same smoothness as a double but with the extreme ratios you get with a compact. It has got to the stage that when I change/wear out my front small ring on the compact I am likely to replace it with a 39.

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 2467877, member: 30090"]Do you have any idea the stigma attached to riding a bike with such a set up
[/quote]
No-one should be stigmatised just because they choose practicality over purity, personally I just use what I want and I do not care about anyone else's opinion:tongue: ^_^ .

Top Bottom