triple to single?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
Hi,
I currently ride a tricross to commute daily.
My commute is on filthy back roads, and involves a lot of climbing on the way home 1300ft....
My triple chainring needs replacing again, and it got me thinking that a simple, cheaper option, might be to fit a single chainring, the same size as the small ring i currently have. I'm not bothered about riding particularly fast downhill, my main priority is getting back up the hills after work.
Currently I have a tiagra triple on the front.
Anyone know if this is as simple as it sounds? and if so can you recommend a front chainring?
Many thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You will seriously restrict your gear range, and wear on this small ring will be accelerated. so rather than reducing the replacement requirement, you will actually be swapping a chainring more often.
Why are you replacing your triple chainset? You do know you can just unbolt and replace the worn ring don't you?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could try it by changing your cassette for a 13-42 and your rear derailleur to suit with your existing front chainring to see how it goes, cost may be about £80/100.
As above your chain line won’t be the best creating more wear.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks both. All three rings at slipping...... just thought it might be a simple and cheaper solution.... I really don’t want anything too special from this bike, it’s become my winter hack.....
may just be better off replacing like for like then. Thanks

Sharky

Guru
Should be straight forward. Try and get a narrow/wide chain ring will help to avoid chain falling off. Race Face do them.
May need to take out a couple of links if not running smooth on the smallest cog.
And will need shorter chainring bolts.

The simplicity of a 1x drive is quite refreshing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My triple chainring needs replacing again,
All three rings at slipping....
What's slipping? Where is the chain slipping? On the chain rings themselves? How many miles has your current chain and cassette done? Picture of one or more of the chain rings would help, perhaps?
If you want only one chain ring, take all 3 off and replace the middle one with a 34t (110 BCD [Edit: you need to check what the BCD is - it's 110 if the distance between two adjacent holes is 64.7mm; and it's 130 if the distance is 76.4mm]) and keep the FD, fix it on the middle ring with the stops and don't try to shift with it. But why not replace all three? Not expensive (eg Spa Cycles @ £6 each 48-38-28 [Edit: these are 110, 110 and 74 BCD]).

Last edited:
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks, may well just do as you suggest in the end. I do lots of dirty, all weather miles on it on a very hilly commute... approx 20miles a day 5 days a week. I think I changed the front chainrings about three years ago.....
Tbh thinking about it the chain probably needs chainging so will try that first.
I suppose, as it’s just my throw about commuter, I fancied something dead simple ..... without the bother or readjusting a front derailer etc. Etc.
Thanks for the advice

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chain slipping?
Put new chain on.
Chain still slipping?
Replace cassette.
Still got issues?
Post image of chain ring (teeth) on here for people to offer a 'view'.

Top Bottom