Trisuit v skinsuit for 800km cycling-walking trail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laurencija100

I'm going to 'do'? the renowned Camino pilgrimage walk in Northern Spain and I'm deciding on what attire would be most suitable. I'm planning on cycling for 1/2 of the way and walking/jogging the rest. I also want to able to take a quick dip in the sea when I am feeling too warm (route if very coastal so it is likely to happen at least a dozen times).

Since the route is very very long, I need to ensure I pack light. Therefore, I am not keen on bringing a separate swimsuit + skin suit + jogging clothes. I don't want to freeze to death or overheat either. Although the predicted temp. for N. Spain for August - September is at 17-25*C. Still, as someone who has never worn either a skinsuit or a trisuit, I can't really tell which one (if either) would best fit this scenario.

Opinions?

Thanks!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Birthday suit for swimming :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally I'd have a pair of shorts/bib shorts and jersey. Swim in the shorts only.

The pad on a tri-suit is very thin, not designed for long distance rides. A skinsuit's great for racing/TT's but I'd not recommend it for any form of distance. Neither have very large pockets either, with most skinsuits not having one (a 'racesuit' does)

super_davo

Über Member
I have been 'tri-curious' in the past and own a few tri-suits (as well as a couple of skinsuits).

If you're planning on racing it, a long distance suit would be OK. You can swim in it, run in it and of course it's designed to cycle 112 miles so the padding does its job.

But...
Tiny pockets, only suitable for carrying a couple of gels really (you're not getting an inner tube / mini pump etc in there!)
It all looks a bit serious... You will look a twonk if you're planning a gentle pootle or walk; they are super skin tight raceware. But if you're going fast enough then nobody will see you long enough to care
Only for the warmest conditions, they are designed to dry quickly so have very light mesh. 17 degrees should be OK if you're moving and generating heat but it's towards the low end of the temperature range and I wouldn't want to use it if it dropped a few degrees less.

So I would say don't go there unless you're doing a serious fast (& probably supported) effort.

OP
OP
Laurencija100

Laurencija100

Personally I'd have a pair of shorts/bib shorts and jersey. Swim in the shorts only.

The pad on a tri-suit is very thin, not designed for long distance rides. A skinsuit's great for racing/TT's but I'd not recommend it for any form of distance. Neither have very large pockets either, with most skinsuits not having one (a 'racesuit' does)

Thanks for replying. That was my concern too. On one hand I want to be able to dip into the water whenever without having to look for a changing room (which won't be there most likely as most of the route is countryside-ish) + cycling shorts more often have ridiculously thick padding which won't dry very quickly. But I might have to do with less swimming as I will need all that padding for those 800km!

I just had the impression that tri-suits are these futuristic exo-suits, able to handle everything but apparently not!

OP
OP
Laurencija100

Laurencija100

I have been 'tri-curious' in the past and own a few tri-suits (as well as a couple of skinsuits).

If you're planning on racing it, a long distance suit would be OK. You can swim in it, run in it and of course it's designed to cycle 112 miles so the padding does its job.

But...
Tiny pockets, only suitable for carrying a couple of gels really (you're not getting an inner tube / mini pump etc in there!)
It all looks a bit serious... You will look a twonk if you're planning a gentle pootle or walk; they are super skin tight raceware. But if you're going fast enough then nobody will see you long enough to care
Only for the warmest conditions, they are designed to dry quickly so have very light mesh. 17 degrees should be OK if you're moving and generating heat but it's towards the low end of the temperature range and I wouldn't want to use it if it dropped a few degrees less.

So I would say don't go there unless you're doing a serious fast (& probably supported) effort.
Hi. Thanks for your reply! The Camino isn't a race at all, it is all about endurance. Originally, it is supposed to be a pilgrim path but a lot of people nowadays choose to cycle it instead. So I'm not concerned about pockets as I'll have a backpack on me and that sort of destroys all dreams of aero or speed.

I definitely am interested in something that dries quickly and is very very breathable. I'm likely going be scorched by the sun as the route is mountainous and the country is sunny, so I need the long sleeves. If you had to pick between a skinsuit, a tri suit or some cycling shorts+top, which would you go for in these circumstances (I'm asking so if it all goes I can blame you instead :biggrin: ).

l4dva

Guru
Trisuit would be perfectly fine!

I have one of these Huub Long course suits and its brilliant. The padding is actually very good, and designed for ironman triathlon where you would ride 100+ miles, so I wouldn't be worried about comfort on the bike. its also designed to be worn for the whole event, so the padding and the rest of the suit will dry quickly once your out of the water and continue to be comfortable on the bike / run. The long sleeves are great too, if you've got coastal breezes and changing temperatures, I think this suit would be perfect. Great Black Friday deals on them at the moment too.

https://huubdesign.com/products/huub-ds-long-course-triathlon-suit-white?variant=27869783916627

Sounds like an awesome event!

Last edited:

l4dva

Guru
You can get tri tops & shorts combos too, if you didn't want an all in one outfit. Could be cheaper too, buy some tri shorts with decent padding, that's designed to be worn in and out of the water. Then stick on your favorite cycling jersey, gives you added practicality of jersey pockets and easier toilet breaks too!

Top Bottom