trite jokey work phrases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

What semi-subconscious phrases do you have stored in your brain for work encounters when you have to say something but you don't want to?

For example, if I am walking up the stairs and someone entering my floor holds the door open for me, I canter up the stairs a bit faster and joke: "oh thanks, I needed the exercise anway".

That always induces a little laugh that I'd like to half-believe.

yenrod

"thats pretty good isnt it" - when it really isnt but Im just going along with it/things for the hell of it for some stupid reason...its usually followed by a smile or even a laugh! But it can work toward the positive too.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

yenrod said:
"thats pretty good isnt it" - when it really isnt but Im just going along with it/things for the hell of it for some stupid reason...its usually followed by a smile or even a laugh! But it can work toward the positive too.

Don't believe those smiles or laughs mate. They only do them because they don't have a weary phrase ready to go nor the imagination to invent a new one.

"Are we keeping you awake?" if you smother a yawn.

Fatuous, and extremely irritating when you're getting by on 5 hours of sleep a night thanks to a colicky baby.

So I used to reply, "No, not you, my sick baby is - he was very poorly last night", just to see their faces collapse into dismay and embarrassment.

Melvil

I seem to use 'okey dokey' and numerous variations of on a permanent basis at work and it annoys both myself and every other bugger.

TVC

"Mind yer fingers" to anyone cramming a sandwich into their mouth at high speed.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Our mantra in the office is

"Still... mustn't grumble"

usually stated by someone after someone else has been bellyaching for the last half hour about the general shiteness of the place. Always raises a smile.

monnet

Guru
At one place I worked the joke if something went a bit awry was always a shrugof the shoulders accompanied bythe phrase 'what are they going to do? Fire me?!'

Top Bottom