Triumph Rodeo and 'Tracker' Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Back in the mists of time - when I were a lad - I built a 'tracker' bike. They were all the rage around our way in the early 1960s. Something along the lines of these....mine had bars similar to the one on the extreme left.
Studio_20170415_145548.png

Basically take any old frame available. Strip off mudguards. Put on cow horn handlebars and knobbly cycle speedway tyres. I suppose they were basically mountain bikes, before anyone had ever thought of the term. Great fun though.
We used to ride them across any rough ground, up and down steep off road hills and race around an old cinder car park.
The one I built used a Triumph Rodeo frame and forks - salvaged from lord knows where - and a Sturmer Archer 4 speed hub. Sprung Brooks saddle. Compulsory cow horns. 1 1/4 studded tyres. Rat trap pedals.

Seeing the old photo above has made me think of recreating the bike of my very early teens.
So.......the question is.
Does anyone have a Triumph Rodeo frame and forks knocking around? Quite distinctive as the top tube is curved, which was unusual in the day.

Edited to add:
Picture of a Triumph Rodeo.

Studio_20170415_150552.png

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
That looks like Monkman second from the left ! (university challenge). :smile:

Shaun

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think I might have had one of those as my first bike. Can't remember the make but it had a curved too tube. I couldn't ride when I picked it from the bike shop but by the time I'd reached home about two miles away I could.

What was the point of that curved tube?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mine must have been the 'Royal Carmine', a sort of dark metallic red. I know it had a Sturmy Archer 3 speed which I was later to deride when I got a derailleur equipped bike.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Yeah, I'm pretty certain the fad was influenced by cycle speedway.
I did hundreds of miles on mine and it took a real battering. Can't ever remembering it letting me down. I have a real soft spot for that old bike. I can't even remember what happened to it now - must be nearly 50 years since I stopped riding it and took to a fixie road bike.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Back in the mists of time - when I were a lad - I built a 'tracker' bike. They were all the rage around our way in the early 1960s. Something along the lines of these....mine had bars similar to the one on the extreme left.
View attachment 347557
Basically take any old frame available. Strip off mudguards. Put on cow horn handlebars and knobbly cycle speedway tyres. I suppose they were basically mountain bikes, before anyone had ever thought of the term. Great fun though.
We used to ride them across any rough ground, up and down steep off road hills and race around an old cinder car park.
The one I built used a Triumph Rodeo frame and forks - salvaged from lord knows where - and a Sturmer Archer 4 speed hub. Sprung Brooks saddle. Compulsory cow horns. 1 1/4 studded tyres. Rat trap pedals.

Seeing the old photo above has made me think of recreating the bike of my very early teens.
So.......the question is.
Does anyone have a Triumph Rodeo frame and forks knocking around? Quite distinctive as the top tube is curved, which was unusual in the day.

Edited to add:
Picture of a Triumph Rodeo.

View attachment 347562
This is a great photograph, l wonder how the person with the camera got the lads to stay in one place long enough for the picture to be taken.
I was living in the Lincolnshire Fen area in the early '60,s and my mates and l all had old bike frames fitted with cow horns and knobbly tyres. We also had a craze for fixed wheels and no brakes. To "stop" the bike you had to shove your foot on top of the tyre into the gap between the tube and the forks. It worked most of the time, unless you got it wrong, in which case you went over the cow horns and landed flat on your back....what fun !

Top Bottom