Trochanteric Pain/Bursitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Feastie

Über Member
Last monday I woke up with a strange non-muscular pain down the back of my left leg at the top which caused me to limp a little. I kept on running anyway, and actually it seemed to go away when I ran. It didn't go away for a few days so I went to see the GP who prodded my over my greater trochanter (where it didn't seem painful!) and it was mightily tender! So apparently I now have some sort of trochanteric inflammation type syndrome and have been given some painkillers to take daily which are making no discernable difference unless you say that the pain would otherwise have been getting worse.

I'm torn between the fact that it doesn't stop me from running (apart from being a little uncomfortable until I get going) so I can keep exercising and keep my weight down/de-stress, versus the fact that I want it to go away ASAP. It's worse when I've been still for a while and occasionally it does make me limp. Has anybody else ever had this? Did you stop exercising completely or keep it up? Also, how long did it last for?

Most of the information I can find online is about older people developing it spontaneously and not much about how long it takes if you got the injury at random from running. I'm only 22 so I'm sure it must be exercise-related. It feels so unjust as I've been running for years and never ever had a problem with my hips! Always the knees. Anyway!

Any experiences much appreciated!

Top Bottom