Tropical temperatures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WHile planning our as yet somwehat ethereal bike tour in Japan, Beautiful Wife has expressed concern about the climate.

As she points out we will have to ride in summer, and Japan is hot. Very hot, and humid.

And we'll have jet lag.

Her suggestion is that we be sensible, stay at a hotel by the airport overnight and ride the next day. This makes a lot of sense. On the other hand the route from the ferry port to Beautiful Wife's family's home is 40k, a very flat 40k right alongside the sea or at least close by for a large part, so we'll have some wind.

When I say 'very flat' I mean when we cross a bridge we talk about it for several minutes afterwards because it is so exciting to go up and down.

Apart from this, I can ride 80k normally at the moment and I'm building that up to a goal of 160-200k in our hilly terrain. I expect the climate will reduce this in Japan. Do other people have experience of this? and how do you deal with it?

We cycled in Japan last summer. Just for a couple of days and no more than about 50 km per day. It was VERY hot and humid, but just about doable. Those refrigerated drinks vending machines were a godsend.

Where to start? ^_^

A man in a rush to see his inlaws??? ^_^
If you cycle on the day of arrival and it all goes terribly bad what will be the repercussions? Are they worth it? ^_^ Do you want to hand over the "I was wrong" card on day 1 of the tour?

While temperature is possible to guage in advance, humidity is a lot more difficult. I've enjoyed fabulous days cycling in 40 celcius along the coast in Spain. But high humidity in lower temperatures will knock the wind out of me.

Then there's logistics - flights, customs, immigration are all sources of delay as well as the potential for a delayed bike or bikes! A delay can turn a leisurely 40 k cycle into an unpleasant dash.

For me, touring is all about reducing the stress. I'd be with the missus on this one.

From cycling with loved ones I have found that the best pace to go at is the pace of the slowest. It's a lot less stressful in the long run.

Between Matsuyama and Onomichi, lovely bridges. No big deal really, just a couple of days on rented bikes.

A group should always go at the pace of the slowest. Otherwise it soon stops being a group.

Well, yes. I was specifically talking about the situation of "loved ones" as opposed to a general group.

I went off with a touring group once. I quickly became the slowest one by choice. I was quite happy not to be in that group. ^_^

Arriving jet-lagged and tired from riding is worse than just arriving tired from riding.

@Andy in Germany Your wife is a sensible lady.

She cannot be that sensible she married @Andy in Germany :tongue: However, I agree in this case she is right, the last thing I would want to do after a long haul and the putting bikes together is to go and see the in-laws.

@Milkfloat at I think she sees me a sort of long term project.

I realise that I missed out the important detail that only myself and Eldest Son will be riding, the rest of the family will travel from airport/ferry port to Inlaws by train. Beautiful Wife is not that keen on cycling longer distances or touring. (Not yet anyway: she's not the only one who likes a project).

A man in a rush to see his inlaws??? ^_^
If you cycle on the day of arrival and it all goes terribly bad what will be the repercussions? Are they worth it? ^_^ Do you want to hand over the "I was wrong" card on day 1 of the tour?

That sounds like the voice of experience, and worth heeding, although as I forgot to mention, there's only two of us riding this time.

I've said elsewhere that bicycles are one of the two best things invented for introverts*, and taking the bikes is at least in part a way to give myself and to a lesser extent Elder Son some introvert time. While we do want to explore a beautiful region of Japan, and my inlaws are indeed lovely people, we also need a "socially acceptable" excuse to withdraw, and the physical means to make this possible ("Oh, we'd love to come to the Karaoke, but we're on the Tsurugiiwa Pass, sorry..."). We have other ideas, like when a family outing is planned to an out of town shopping centre or overnight at a local spa, we can cycle there ("If we cycle there then you'll have two free seats in the car...")

In that context, staying out of the way for another night is possibly a plus I hadn't considered...

*The other is lockable toilet cubicles.

That sounds like the voice of experience, and worth heeding, although as I forgot to mention, there's only two of us riding this time.

I've said elsewhere that bicycles are one of the two best things invented for introverts*, and taking the bikes is at least in part a way to give myself and to a lesser extent Elder Son some introvert time. While we do want to explore a beautiful region of Japan, and my inlaws are indeed lovely people, we also need a "socially acceptable" excuse to withdraw, and the physical means to make this possible ("Oh, we'd love to come to the Karaoke, but we're on the Tsurugiiwa Pass, sorry..."). We have other ideas, like when a family outing is planned to an out of town shopping centre or overnight at a local spa, we can cycle there ("If we cycle there then you'll have two free seats in the car...")

In that context, staying out of the way for another night is possibly a plus I hadn't considered...

*The other is lockable toilet cubicles.
Sorry, I didn't pick up that herself wasn't cycling.

It seems to be from a pure cycling point of view then it's up to yourself and your son. But from a family dynamic point of view it's a tad more complicated.
It could be as simple as that she wants a night to recover before she reunites with the family.
In any case, it's really no longer a touring question so my level of expertise is exceeded. ^_^
And, no, I've always had a good relationship with the in-laws! More often than not better and longer lasting than with the daughter!^_^

Sorry, I didn't pick up that herself wasn't cycling.

Probably because I forgot to mention it.

However the general advice about taking it easy confirms what I'm feeling so I'll run ride with that.

Now, what do people think is a realistic distance and altitude in comparison to what we can normally achieve? I'm expecting to be able to ride about a third or a half of what I can manage here depending on the humidity at any given time. What do others find?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
When you say hot and humid, what do you actually mean? The South of France can be hot and humid, but it's certainly not tropical. I'd be happy to do a normal day's riding. On the other hand, having visited south India, which is tropical, my preferred amount of riding would be zero.

Top Bottom