Tropical temperatures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Isn't it more about what your son can manage or is he more capable than you?

Probably physically stronger- he's currently 17 and bigger then me, but has less experience cycling.

When you say hot and humid, what do you actually mean? The South of France can be hot and humid, but it's certainly not tropical. I'd be happy to do a normal day's riding. On the other hand, having visited south India, which is tropical, my preferred amount of riding would be zero.

Up to the mid 40's °c and up to 100% humidity in the towns in the lowlands. On the cost there's often a breeze so it's nicer, and in the hills it's dryer. As we're in a largeish lowland town, if we go north to the sea or south to the hills it'll be more comfortable either way.

In Tokyo you walk out if an air conditioned airport and you are instantly soaked in sweat. Generally 38-40c and very humid.

That's because Tokyo makes its own climate from pollution and a bazillion air conditioners.

We'll be avoiding Tokyo like the plague that it is.

Up to the mid 40's °c and up to 100% humidity in the towns in the lowlands. On the cost there's often a breeze so it's nicer, and in the hills it's dryer. As we're in a largeish lowland town, if we go north to the sea or south to the hills it'll be more comfortable either way.

Wow! that's potentially dangerous!

If it was me, I'd have a look on CrazyGuy and try to make contact with people who have biked similar areas to where you're going & get their advice. In any case, I'd be leaving the first few days loosely planned until I got used to the climate. No deadlines, no big distances.

Wow! that's potentially dangerous!

If it was me, I'd have a look on CrazyGuy and try to make contact with people who have biked similar areas to where you're going & get their advice. In any case, I'd be leaving the first few days loosely planned until I got used to the climate. No deadlines, no big distances.

It is isn't it?

The plan would be to go on day rides from my inlaws house, probably no more than every other day, although I'd probably need to go out and Introvert early in the morning.

The first ride would be from the port of Tsu, where the ferry from the airport docks, to Ise, where the Inlaws live. This is about 40k, and as flat as a pancake that has been stamped on repeatedly by an Elephant. That's a fairly easy ride for us as we are both used to the fairly hilly local terrain here. We'd probably try and set off early so we'd be in Ise by the really hot part of the day.

It is isn't it?

The plan would be to go on day rides from my inlaws house, probably no more than every other day, although I'd probably need to go out and Introvert early in the morning.

The first ride would be from the port of Tsu, where the ferry from the airport docks, to Ise, where the Inlaws live. This is about 40k, and as flat as a pancake that has been stamped on repeatedly by an Elephant. That's a fairly easy ride for us as we are both used to the fairly hilly local terrain here. We'd probably try and set off early so we'd be in Ise by the really hot part of the day.

I think I'm really getting the wrong end of the stick in this thread! :blush:
So it's less touring and more day rides, then? You're bringing your own bikes?
Ah, in that case, it's probably not as significant. I had visions of ye struggling up hills on loaded bikes, the leader leaving a trail of sweat on the road for the follower, arriving at accommodation and not being able to speak until after a cold shower and a couple of liters of cold beer! :smile:

I see potential for a great Father/Son adventure! Have your research done as to what and where and when you want to go, but be open to climate induced (and adventure) flexibility.

Joking aside, in those temps you do need to listen to your bodies. And maybe pack some electrolyte tablets.

I think I'm really getting the wrong end of the stick in this thread! :blush:

Probably because I'm not explaining it very well...

So it's less touring and more day rides, then? You're bringing your own bikes?

That's basically it. There may be a couple of multi day rides, but even then, nothing too adventurous. I have a great respect for the climate there having had one niece get heatstroke while I was there...

Top Bottom