Trouble fitting extra chain link for 7 Speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tried to fit a chain link to a bike for a customer today and so far I failed miserably.

The bike is a 7 speed, and I wondered if that could be the reason. 7spd is very old these days so are links generally made for narrower chains? I checked the packaging, such as it was, and found no reference to the width.

Did it not snap shut?

My (admittedly limited) experience of quick links is that if you don't have the right gadget to close them, the best way to do that is to stamp down hard on a pedal to apply a load to the chain. The sudden jerk should be enough to get the thing to snap shut.

Reactions: C R

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
6,7,8 - chains are the same size.
Not all 8-speed chains are the same width, which is why KMC make two different 8-speed quicklinks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I understood that splitting the chain and refitting it with the same pin made a weak link that could break under pressure.

I never a had a chain break again after I’ve fixed it on the road. Maybe in theory, but in practice it works and it’s what we all did through the 70s,80s,90s,10s etc. Haven’t had a chain break in 20s, I’ll let you know…

Top Bottom