Trouble with bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

My friend just got a bike from a bike recycling scheme, and in first week, the rear dérailleur separated from the frame. He took it back and they fixed it. Today I went out for a cycle with him, and after the first mile or so, his rear wheel fell out of the dropouts.

I tightened it again, we set off, and then he noticed the rear wheel was rubbing against the inside of the rear chain stay, upon inspection, the rear wheel had fallen out of the dropouts again.

So I tightened it up AGAIN, and as we set off, the wheel fell out of the dropouts AGAIN!

I managed to get it in for the last time, then we SLOWLY cycled back home.

My question is, should my friend return it to the recycling scheme and get his money back? Should he get it serviced and ask the recycle scheme to cover the cost?

What should he do? The bike isn't really fit for purpose.

Cheers,
Sam :rolleyes:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
certainly doesn't sound fit for purpose. I would say take it into the bike shop, and just ask them to diagnose what is wrong, give you a list and the total costs. Then take that to the whom ever sold your friend the bike and either asks for them to fix it, for the money back or for them to cover the costs of the repairs from the bike shop.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sounds as though it's got to go back...i'd check the axle threads, it sounds as though they may be stripped or damaged (that or the nuts may be)...working on the principle its a nutted axle of course.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Sounds as though it's got to go back...i'd check the axle threads, it sounds as though they may be stripped or damaged (that or the nuts may be)...working on the principle its a nutted axle of course.

The front wheel is nutted, but the rear wheel is quick release, by the looks of it, they have just put a quick release wheel onto a frame designed for a nutted axle.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The front wheel is nutted, but the rear wheel is quick release, by the looks of it, they have just put a quick release wheel onto a frame designed for a nutted axle.
All frames can take both QR skewers and ordinary track nuts, that wouldn't be the problem. When you say the wheel "fell out" of the dropouts I take it you mean it pulled to one side and jammed on the chainstay? Could be that the QR is worn and polished smooth where it clamps on the dropout and won't hold.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

All frames can take both QR skewers and ordinary track nuts, that wouldn't be the problem. When you say the wheel "fell out" of the dropouts I take it you mean it pulled to one side and jammed on the chainstay? Could be that the QR is worn and polished smooth where it clamps on the dropout and won't hold.

That could be it, I'll check it when I get back home.

When I say "fell out" of the dropouts, it only seemed to happen when my friend put a lot of pressure on the pedals when he was starting cycling (like at a roundabout or junction). Both sides of the QR skewer had managed to slip out from the dropouts.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are you sure you've tightened the QR enough? This does sound very odd. Forgive me if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but when you push the lever to clamp the QR, is it hard to 'close'? It should be. If it isn't, try tightening up the nut at the other end until it is. (It can take a bit of back & forth till you get the tension right - but when it is, you should be able to push the lever into the 'lock position', but it should take a good push to do it - it should 'only just' close.) This may not be the answer, but it's worth a try. 

Top Bottom