TRP Spyre upgrade for Ribble CGR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With respect the original post was asking about compatibility and which parts I needed to buy. If you want to start a separate thread about the performance and maintaining tektro brakes thats fine.
Finally someone else that points it out.

I'll never understand why so many folks in this forum feel the need to give their answer to a question that was never asked.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

I'll never understand why so many folks in this forum feel the need to give their answer to a question that was never asked.
Lol - to be fair it is rare to see a thread where the OP wants to upgrade because something is working too effectively...
A nice problem to have, maybe :laugh:

alex_cycles

Veteran
They probably need new pads as well. but If I am messing with pads and adjustments - I feel I may as well upgrade as tektro don't have the best reputation.

.......Waits for someone to post that if correctly maintained tektro brakes are as good as anything!

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that tektro and trp were part of the same outfit?

"TRP is part of the Tektro family. TEKTRO is a 33-year-old family business based in Taiwan. Today, all major bicycle brands use TEKTRO brakes in their bike lines and value Tektro's reliability and quality production know-how. In 2006, Tektro launched it's high end brand TRP – Tektro Racing Products."

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that tektro and trp were part of the same outfit?

"TRP is part of the Tektro family. TEKTRO is a 33-year-old family business based in Taiwan. Today, all major bicycle brands use TEKTRO brakes in their bike lines and value Tektro's reliability and quality production know-how. In 2006, Tektro launched it's high end brand TRP – Tektro Racing Products."
Yep. Pretty much. I've had no problem with Tektro brakes, they work reliably enough, but they don't have the same feel or performance or attention to detail of the TRP products, as you might expect. It would be like comparing Shimano Claris with Ultegra, it'll get the job done, but not quite as well as it's built to a price.

As an example, the Tektro mechanical disk brake calipers are all single sided - so one pad moves and the other remains fixed in place, it works, its' low cost and used on a lot of bikes, but the TRP calipers are all dual sided so the pads move together and are much more adjustable so that you get much more control and better feel at the levers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I'll counter that with I don't understand why thread starters or others are surprised that when they ask for advice they get it, albeit sometime slightly more broad ranging than their initial ask. e.g. here's the answer to your question, but have you considered this...

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Terribly sorry mate - just trying to save yuo some money :blush:
Ok.
And apologies if I came across sharp. I often find on forums the question you initially ask gets derailed and swerves into another debate - over time this gets very frustrating.!

Apologies again

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
So they are performing well. Maybe it's user error ?
Do you really want worse brakes ??
Jesus #irony.

I did say in the opening post they aren't performing that we'll. I thought that would suffice .
I didn't think that I would need to explain that when I squeeze the lever they don't slow me down as much as I would like.

If you hang onto until the weekend I will do a 90 minutes comparing stopping distances with expected stopping distance - if fact I will do two - one in dry and one in wet weather conditions.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you hang onto until the weekend I will do a 90 minutes comparing stopping distances with expected stopping distance - if fact I will do two - one in dry and one in wet weather conditions.
Relying on a pretty accurate weather forecast then, or are you going to cover the road outside your house with water from a hose? What is the hypothesis you'd be testing for? Think you might at least share the test specification so people can comment, gratuitously, sort of 'chat' like. :whistle:

Top Bottom