TRP Spyre upgrade for Ribble CGR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The tektro brakes on my ribble cgr aren't performing that well. its my winter bike so don't won't to spend loads - but have heard good things about trp spyre - but no sure what to buy - see photos of ribble tektro below - presume I need flat mount ? - but them some sites recommend you need an adaptor ? - any
advice welcome.

PXL_20220124_145050687.jpg

PXL_20220124_145114652.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure but I think Spyres are post mount, so you'll need an adapter. Maybe someone can confirm.
I'd also like some so I'd be interested in finding a stockist if anyone can help with that.
Odd securing arrangement on that rear caliper.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Not sure but I think Spyres are post mount, so you'll need an adapter. Maybe someone can confirm.
I'd also like some so I'd be interested in finding a stockist if anyone can help with that.
Merlin, Pro Bikekit have stock - there is a flat mount and a post version. not sure if I could use the existing adapter

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you'll need a post mount adapter like this:

Attachments

• cycle-touring-road-bike-rc500-disc-brake-black.jpg
    cycle-touring-road-bike-rc500-disc-brake-black.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 17

si_c

Guru
You need the flat mount calipers, no adapters are necessary. You already have the correct spacers for the rotor sizes you are using, so nothing else needed.

I'd suggest getting some compressionless brake housing though - replacing what you have now will ensure they work that bit smoother, and whilst you're doing that you may as well replace the inners too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just checked my bike because I wasn't sure about the rear adaptor. Turns out they are direct mounted when running 140mm discs.

Front:

Rear:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
They simply need to be adjusted then...

They probably need new pads as well. but If I am messing with pads and adjustments - I feel I may as well upgrade as tektro don't have the best reputation.

.......Waits for someone to post that if correctly maintained tektro brakes are as good as anything!

iluvmybike

Über Member
They probably need new pads as well. but If I am messing with pads and adjustments - I feel I may as well upgrade as tektro don't have the best reputation.

.......Waits for someone to post that if correctly maintained tektro brakes are as good as anything!
Your talking £5-6 for a set of pads for exisiting brakes and a few minutes adjusting v buying a complete new set - which will also need to be adjusted when you fit them? So it is messing whichever way you do it?
Could sort of understand it if the brakes didn't stop you but they do - you just need to back the cable adjusters off a tad

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Your talking £5-6 for a set of pads for exisiting brakes and a few minutes adjusting v buying a complete new set - which will also need to be adjusted when you fit them? So it is messing whichever way you do it?
Could sort of understand it if the brakes didn't stop you but they do - you just need to back the cable adjusters off a tad

With respect the original post was asking about compatibility and which parts I needed to buy. If you want to start a separate thread about the performance and maintaining tektro brakes thats fine.

Top Bottom