What bike to replace my dead hybrid commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That is my thought too and I have repeatedly stressed to Chain Reaction that they should escalate this to Kona because of the safety implications. I may inform Kona myself if CRC don't make the right noises!

EDIT: Maybe let Jagwire know too as it is their product that is a key factor in the failure.
i would certainly be sending Kona an email on this issue.....its a critical safety point of the bike and within their build process

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just sent the following rather long-winded email to the Kona Tech department. It will be interesting to see their reply and how seriously they take my product recall suggestion.

Hi

I have bought a Kona Wheelhouse 2018 from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK and found a serious fault with the brakes that may affect other similar bikes shipped from the Kona assembly plant.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kona-wheelhouse-road-bike-2018/rp-prod176436

I am currently in communication with Chain Reaction Cycles to resolve this issue but due to the safety critical nature of the fault and the potential risk of injury or death in the event of the brakes failing in this way I think it is important that the situation is brought to your attention.

When checking over the new bike prior to 1st use I discovered that the front cable operated disc brake was not releasing. Further investigation revealed that the Jagwire compressionless cable casing had punched through the plastic cable stop in the brake lever housing. The longitudinal metal strands of the cable casing had effectively cut their own, bigger hole though the plastic where only the inner cable was supposed to fit. The pictures below show the results of this failure. Before the brake cable was dismantled the strands of the casing could be seen protruding into the void behind the brake lever when the lever was depressed.

Front brake cable and lever images
upload_2018-10-4_22-52-23.png

upload_2018-10-4_22-52-35.png

The rear brake was then stripped for inspection and found to be showing early signs of the same failure mode.

Rear brake cable and lever images
upload_2018-10-4_22-52-47.png

upload_2018-10-4_22-53-4.png

I have never experienced the Jagwire compressionless brake cable before but having read the manufacturers installation instructions and looking at the brake cable kit contents it would appear that this product should only be installed in road brake levers using the EZ-Bend housing section to fit into the brake lever body. This EZ-Bend section appears to be a traditional spiral wound length of cable casing that is necessary to prevent the compressionless casing from damaging the lever bodies as has happened in this case. The Jagwire compressionless brake cable casing has been installed at the Kona factory without the required EZ-Bend section and this incorrect installation is the reason for the failure.

https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cable-kits/2017road-pro-brake-kit

https://jagwire.com/files/product/Racer_Road_Kit_2009.pdf

In my case the failure had already occurred before the bike was received by myself, the end user. The casing had passed through the lever body and the resulting slack in the inner cable had been adjusted out either at initial factory assembly or at the retailers pre-delivery checks.

In my opinion there are a number of urgent actions that require attention by Kona;
  • Immediate review of Installation methods for all bikes assembled using the Jagwire compressionless brake cables or similar products. Is this a product compatibility issue or is it due to incorrect installation by a single assembly operator?
  • Assess the risk that other bikes have been shipped with this fault present and consider a product recall to rectify the affected bikes. This is urgent as there is a risk of serious injury or death in the event of the brakes failing in this way!
  • Give the necessary support to Chain Reaction Cycles to resolve the issue with my bicycle and to also carry out any rectification work to other bikes they have supplied or still hold in stock.
I cannot stress enough the seriousness of this problem. If this is the standard installation method employed by Kona during assembly then there is potentially hundreds or thousands of bikes being sold and used with brakes that can fail at any time.

To help Kona to investigate the problem below are the box labels supplied to me with my bike.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Please confirm receipt of this email and contact me if you require any further details.

Regards, XXXX.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Been working 12hr shifts for the last 4 days so had to let this slide but have just made a phonecall and now have a resolution that I am happy with.

First of all, here is the reply from Kona to confirm they have received and taken notice of my email....

upload_2018-10-10_10-49-5.png

I don't suppose I will hear anymore from them but it would be nice to get a follow up email at some point outlining what they find, how they resolve it (recalling affected bikes etc) and saying thanks for realising the seriousness and taking the time to communicate the problem.

Chain reaction were a bit slow off the mark initially and I was being passed from pillar to post with 5 people being involved but no one person taking ownership of the problem prior to the weekend. Today have spoken to an individual who has taken responsibility and agrees with my best solution option. They have agreed with the replacement of the shifters and installation of a new cable kit using the correct parts.

With a bit of luck and a prevailing tailwind I should be riding my fabulous new bike by weekend :okay:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
AT LAST!

Finally got the replacement parts and built up the bike with new shifters yesterday. Also took the opportunity to swap out the drop handlebars for a set of flared drops from my old GT Grade as I love the bars on the Grade. Managed to do rather a neat job of rewrapping the bars with the original Kona bartape. I really wanted to keep the old tape as it is embossed with the Kona name along its length. I also swapped the wrap direction from running bar end plugs towards the stem to my preferred method of starting near the stem and ending at the bar end plugs. This is a small touch but aesthetically better IMO as it means you don't have the wrap of plastic tape near the stem to keep it all in place, the tape is all self binding.

Final touches were to swap the small chainring from the stock 34T to a low mileage 36T ring I had in the parts box and swapping the front brake cable inner. This was a weird one! I reused one of the original cable inners for the front brake rather than cutting a brand-new one in the kit supplied under the warranty. Once all built up the front brake was really spongy while the back was rock hard, very odd as it is usually the other way around. I checked all the installation but it was all good then decided to use the supplied Jagwire inner. This did the trick and front brake is now rock solid like a hydraulic system. The other inner went in the bin, it must have been generic cheap rubbish, shame on you Kona!

First ride this morning was to take the youngest son to his tennis lesson then I had an hour for a shakedown ride before I had to collect him again. Initial plan was a bimble over to Glossop and back, but as I crested Mottram cutting the bike was running so nicely and feeling so good I came up with a new plan and decided to give this new beastie a proper work out! I turned off towards Broadbottom then climbed the enormous hill of Chapel Brow and over Monks Road. I was keeping a sharp eye out for @nickyboy because this is his stamping ground and I thought it highly likely that he might have the same idea on such a delightfully pleasant day. I didn't see him...…
Dropping back into Glossop down Chunal was a blast, literally, with a super strong tailwind I was doing 40+mph on the flat bit at the top before hitting the descent and getting 50.8mph max! Not too shabby for a test ride and scrubbing off this speed at the bottom before the junction has done a good job of bedding in the new brakes.

It isn't new now having done a little over 20 miles on a damp, blustery autumn day...

upload_2018-10-13_12-57-3.png

upload_2018-10-13_12-57-37.png

upload_2018-10-13_12-58-16.png

upload_2018-10-13_12-58-47.png

Just need the Tortec rack to arrive to finish the job. I think this is going to be a great replacement for the old commuter :okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
AT LAST!

Finally got the replacement parts and built up the bike with new shifters yesterday. Also took the opportunity to swap out the drop handlebars for a set of flared drops from my old GT Grade as I love the bars on the Grade. Managed to do rather a neat job of rewrapping the bars with the original Kona bartape. I really wanted to keep the old tape as it is embossed with the Kona name along its length. I also swapped the wrap direction from running bar end plugs towards the stem to my preferred method of starting near the stem and ending at the bar end plugs. This is a small touch but aesthetically better IMO as it means you don't have the wrap of plastic tape near the stem to keep it all in place, the tape is all self binding.

Final touches were to swap the small chainring from the stock 34T to a low mileage 36T ring I had in the parts box and swapping the front brake cable inner. This was a weird one! I reused one of the original cable inners for the front brake rather than cutting a brand-new one in the kit supplied under the warranty. Once all built up the front brake was really spongy while the back was rock hard, very odd as it is usually the other way around. I checked all the installation but it was all good then decided to use the supplied Jagwire inner. This did the trick and front brake is now rock solid like a hydraulic system. The other inner went in the bin, it must have been generic cheap rubbish, shame on you Kona!

First ride this morning was to take the youngest son to his tennis lesson then I had an hour for a shakedown ride before I had to collect him again. Initial plan was a bimble over to Glossop and back, but as I crested Mottram cutting the bike was running so nicely and feeling so good I came up with a new plan and decided to give this new beastie a proper work out! I turned off towards Broadbottom then climbed the enormous hill of Chapel Brow and over Monks Road. I was keeping a sharp eye out for @nickyboy because this is his stamping ground and I thought it highly likely that he might have the same idea on such a delightfully pleasant day. I didn't see him...…
Dropping back into Glossop down Chunal was a blast, literally, with a super strong tailwind I was doing 40+mph on the flat bit at the top before hitting the descent and getting 50.8mph max! Not too shabby for a test ride and scrubbing off this speed at the bottom before the junction has done a good job of bedding in the new brakes.

It isn't new now having done a little over 20 miles on a damp, blustery autumn day...

View attachment 433824

View attachment 433826

View attachment 433827

View attachment 433828

Just need the Tortec rack to arrive to finish the job. I think this is going to be a great replacement for the old commuter :okay:

I've been busy sawing up the pergola that blew down in yesterday's wind so no ride for me. Nice bike Skol. That climb all the way from the bridge in Broadbottom to the top of Monks Road is very tough, I never combine them; up Town Lane and then straight on to Simmondley for me

Bit slow down Chunal, my max is 53mph, you need to try a bit harder

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice commuter that, very tidy. Bit too big for me to even try it ! :tongue:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The long awaited pannier rack arrived yesterday so I promptly set about fitting it. Tortec Velocity - https://road.cc/content/news/2905-new-slimline-fast-commuter-rack-tortec

It wasn't a straightforward fit, partly because I am fussy and partly because stuff got in the way. First of all I had to grind a few millimetres off the bottom of the legs as they were hitting the thru-axle assembly. I had also decided in advance that I didn't want to use the rather bulky and awkward looking bracketry supplied to fit it to the seatstay mounts. I opted instead to use the slender stainless steel parts from my old Blackburn MTB rack that had fitted my hybrid perfectly. These had to be cut to approx. half the original length then a bit welded in and ground down to stop the pannier stays from splaying apart when the securing bolt was tightened.

Looking good (and sleek!)……
upload_2018-11-16_9-31-6.png

upload_2018-11-16_9-37-33.png

upload_2018-11-16_9-32-29.png

upload_2018-11-16_9-40-8.png

The old rack for comparison,
upload_2018-11-16_10-0-49.png

Ready for tonight's commute now. I certainly won't miss the rucksack I have been using for the last couple of weeks.

si_c

Guru
The long awaited pannier rack arrived yesterday so I promptly set about fitting it. Tortec Velocity - https://road.cc/content/news/2905-new-slimline-fast-commuter-rack-tortec

It wasn't a straightforward fit, partly because I am fussy and partly because stuff got in the way. First of all I had to grind a few millimetres off the bottom of the legs as they were hitting the thru-axle assembly. I had also decided in advance that I didn't want to use the rather bulky and awkward looking bracketry supplied to fit it to the seatstay mounts. I opted instead to use the slender stainless steel parts from my old Blackburn MTB rack that had fitted my hybrid perfectly. These had to be cut to approx. half the original length then a bit welded in and ground down to stop the pannier stays from splaying apart when the securing bolt was tightened.

Looking good (and sleek!)……
View attachment 438980

View attachment 438983

View attachment 438981

View attachment 438984

The old rack for comparison,
View attachment 438989

Ready for tonight's commute now. I certainly won't miss the rucksack I have been using for the last couple of weeks.

Looks good as far as panniers go. I still can't get over the visuals of them, especially on a pretty bike like that.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It will look class for all of a fortnight, then it will be covered in a permanent layer of shite! :tongue:
I'm well aware of @I like Skol and his cleaning:rolleyes: philosophy.:okay::laugh:
True to form, bike is weathering in nicely and slowly fading into the background. Over 600 winter miles now and this bike has NEVER been washed. I wonder how long I can keep this going? Would be funny to have a bike that is years old and never, ever been washed.

Locked it up out side my doctors this morning and I don't think anyone could even see it. I wasn't worried about leaving it like I was in the early days....

upload_2019-1-8_12-49-54.png

Top Bottom