Trucks' blind spot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Haven't seen this before, well worth a watch, though makes me wonder why no one has engineered a better solution by now!

http://wimp.com/blindspot/
Indeed, I asked myself the same question. I think it's because no one is accountable for the lack of a solution. Nobody owns the problem.
Oh, there's 33 pages of this here - http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-an-hgv-sees-of-you.144009/

OP
OP
Lincov

Lincov

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sorry, 33 pages sounds like plenty of discussion on the issue!

Though I cycled for a long time, as a teenager, without knowing I shouldn't go down the left hand side of trucks. I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Actually, 33 was an exaggeration, it's only 8 pages long! I became engaged in the thread around #96.

That's an interesting video, though it's not really an accurate representation of what the driver actually sees. It does underline the point that the inside of a truck is not the best place to put yourself if you can avoid it, and if it resorts to a slightly sensationalist approach to get that point across, that seems fair enough. I don't know about anyone else on here, but if blindside cameras, proximity sensors and extra mirrors were introduced on trucks tomorrow, I'd still keep well away from the side of lorries at traffic lights. It'll never be a sensible place to put yourself, and (at risk of sounding like a stuck record), training of cyclists and truck drivers on the dangers presented by trucks to cyclists in particular would be the most constructive way forward, in my opinion. That, and getting rid of these cycle facilites which encourage bikes down the left hand side of traffic queues.

paul04

Über Member
I drive a 7.5 ton van, I can see a cyclist when they are at the rear (nearside) of the van, but as soon as they get half way along the van I lose sight of them.
You have to be constantly checking the mirrors while at traffic lights, just in case a cyclist try's to sneak up the side of the van.

How do you look in front if you are constantly checking your mirrors?

You look everywhere, all the time. Sitting at traffic lights involves a constant scanning of the mirrors (all six of 'em) and the area in front of the truck. Before you move off, you make a final check. And there are still some areas you can't actually see very well.

cd365

Guru
You look everywhere, all the time. Sitting at traffic lights involves a constant scanning of the mirrors (all six of 'em) and the area in front of the truck. Before you move off, you make a final check. And there are still some areas you can't actually see very well.
But you can't actually look everywhere all the time, it only takes a split second whilst your are looking in one mirror for someone to come past your mirror and enter a blind spot!
Cycle/walk/drive safe, it is only as a collective doing this together that accidents can be minimised.

But you can't actually look everywhere all the time, it only takes a split second whilst your are looking in one mirror for someone to come past your mirror and enter a blind spot!
Cycle/walk/drive safe, it is only as a collective doing this together that accidents can be minimised.

I agree (especially with your last point), but in practice a constant scan of everywhere you should be looking picks up most things. Despite me constantly banging on and on and on about how dangerous it is to filter up the inside of lorries, I've never failed to spot a cyclist there. But yes, when pulling onto roundabouts in a loaded artic, it's especially difficult to keep a constant watch on the traffic on the roundabout and all the mirrors, although even then if you're watching the mirrors all the time as you should be, you'll know if there are cyclists in the vicinity who might have had time to catch you up.

paul04

Über Member
How do you look in front if you are constantly checking your mirrors?

I did say "You have to be constantly checking the mirrors while at traffic lights"

And like Rhythm Thief said,
Before you move off, you make a final check. And there are still some areas you can't actually see very well.

Any where near the cab area, and I can not see a cyclist.

Another one you have to watch for, when I am turning left, I have to go wide on the road to get the swing around the corner, cars and cyclists will try and under take you, even though I am indicating left.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oh, it's great. (I'm not being sarky, either.) I've been doing it for fifteen years now and I still have days where I feel I should be paying them.
I used to have days like that too, when I was getting paid to go for a wee run from Glasgow to Aberdeen and back most days. Then I got made redundant, and tried working for agencies :cursing:. That is why I am now driving a taxi :laugh:.

Top Bottom