truing stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am sure I have seen a guide, template and instructions for building your own from 7/9 ply online, but can't find it...
Kind of appeals to my nature if anyone has any knoeledge?
20150321_154919.jpg
This one? It's from Roger Musson's Wheelbuilding book. I think a few forum members have built one. It took me more time and effort to build the stand than the actual wheels I reckon. :laugh: Worth it though.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
View attachment 86414
This one? It's from Roger Musson's Wheelbuilding book. I think a few forum members have built one. It took me more time and effort to build the stand than the actual wheels I reckon. :laugh: Worth it though.

Cuchilo made me a very nice one and it's perfect for doing a few wheels, much better than using bike forks. You do need a dishing tool as well.
I have calibrated my Park Tools TS2.2 so I get a nearly perfect dish while doing other bits and that is great. I also like using the wooden stand when I'm plucking the spokes for truing or equalising the spoke tension as the sound is clearer than on a metal stand.
What I use depends how I feel at the moment :smile: but mostly my TS2.2
I'm privileged to have a choice, like I do with spoke keys.....I like buying tools :smile:

Venod

Eh up
View attachment 86414

I also built this stand, does the job perfectly. I had the wood & other bits in the shed cost nothing but time, if you purchase a copy of Roger Musoons wheelbuilding book, it will be a better buy than the stand.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

S.Giles

... if you purchase a copy of Roger Musoons wheelbuilding book, it will be a better buy than the stand.
Roger Musson's book is the only reference I have for wheelbuilding, and the only one I've needed. I like his approach; do this, this and this, and you'll end up with a good wheel. A refreshing antidote to the nonsense some people spout about bicycle wheels.

Tom B

Guru
View attachment 86414

If it's not the one, its very similar. I seem to recall the one i saw had a the building instructions online.

The MIL fancies herself as a bit of a cyclist and carpenter so I might give her a nudge!

bpsmith

Veteran
If it's not the one, its very similar. I seem to recall the one i saw had a the building instructions online.

The MIL fancies herself as a bit of a cyclist and carpenter so I might give her a nudge!
That's going a bit far just for a free truing stand...

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I've never bothered with a trueing stand. I use an old fork in a vice for the front wheel, and the frame it is destined for to build and true the back wheel.

You know those cotton bud things? Well, if you pull the bud off the plastic rod, hold the rod against the fork or rear triangle so the end rubs on the rim face, and you can hear the areas that need trueing. Job done!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I also built this stand, does the job perfectly. I had the wood & other bits in the shed cost nothing but time, if you purchase a copy of Roger Musoons wheelbuilding book, it will be a better buy than the stand.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

No idea why but I've always liked tools.

My favourite wheel stand is the Park Tools TS2.2 but I also have another truing stand.....@
Cuchilo did a great job with the wooden bits, following Roger Musson technical drawings. A client did the metal bits and I did the rest.

20150526_171807.jpg

I made two nipple drivers because I always seem to misplace one :blush: the same goes for the spoke key.

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
I checked out the Jobsworth at Planet X that with dials seemed ideal for someone with poor eyesight like me and at a good price but the shipping at $235 was more than the price of the stand:eek:

Venod

Eh up
No idea why but I've always liked tools.

My favourite wheel stand is the Park Tools TS2.2 but I also have another truing stand.....@
Cuchilo did a great job with the wooden bits, following Roger Musson technical drawings. A client did the metal bits and I did the rest.

View attachment 90008

I made two nipple drivers because I always seem to misplace one :blush: the same goes for the spoke key.

Snap

R0010604.JPG

I've never bothered with a trueing stand. I use an old fork in a vice for the front wheel, and the frame it is destined for to build and true the back wheel.

You know those cotton bud things? Well, if you pull the bud off the plastic rod, hold the rod against the fork or rear triangle so the end rubs on the rim face, and you can hear the areas that need trueing. Job done!

Yanked the avatar's forks out to 120mm symmetrically, so just as good for those old five speed back wheels and less awkward to use than the frame for my current seven sprocket blocked wheel.

Oh and wiring any pointy things onto a break caliper work for lateral marking.

Top Bottom