Truing wheels with bladed spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, have a rear Mavic Ksyrium Elite - I have both tools to true the wheel - a jig as well as the star shaped spoke key and the tool to keep the blades straight....BUT...is there a technique for keeping the blades straight? All I seem to be doing, when de-tensioning the spokes requiring work, is turning the blades.

Is it worth applying some force the other way to keep the blades straight? I'm keeping the straightening tool as low as possible...?

Thanks for any input on technique.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The technique needs a little confidence and nerve!

Factory wheels usually have a high tension and sometimes have a bit of threadlock.

This means that the nipples are on solid.

To loosen this I tighten the nipple slowly whilst at the same time turning the bladed spoke with the holder the other way.

You will hear a frightful CRACK as the thread is released and you can then tighten up the spoke more easily.

(If you are unsure you can always undo the nipple and turn the opposite way with the blade to achieve the same result.)

I use a little metal vice to hold the bladed spokes - it's far better than the cheap plastic things you usually get.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay, can I only release the threadlock by tightening the nipple or will the same theory hold the other way around, Pete? Can I de-tension the nipple and force the blade the other way and still create the same effect?

I ask this because the first spoke I worked on was one I was de-tensioning going anti-clockwise and I'm concerned that if I have to tighten the nipple to release the lock, before I even get started then I am suddenly opening up a wider range of tension (and more likely therefore to create a wild imbalance somewhere)?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Agree with what Pete said. Page 12 here might not be the right vintage for your wheel but it might give you some idea. With few spokes, spoke tension will be high, so do quarter turns when you would normally have half turns. Also keep the blade holder on the flat bit as close to the nipple as possible would minimise twisting the spokes.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Okay, can I only release the threadlock by tightening the nipple or will the same theory hold the other way around, Pete? Can I de-tension the nipple and force the blade the other way and still create the same effect?

I ask this because the first spoke I worked on was one I was de-tensioning going anti-clockwise and I'm concerned that if I have to tighten the nipple to release the lock, before I even get started then I am suddenly opening up a wider range of tension (and more likely therefore to create a wild imbalance somewhere)?

Undoing the nipple and turning the spoke is equally as good.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Undoing the nipple and turning the spoke is equally as good.

Okay, so does the job only begin when you've broken the threadlock and can begin to move the spoke independently of the blades turning with them or are you still effectively tensioning/de-tensioning before you hear the frightful crack of spoke-n thunder! ?

Or am I being gormless...it wouldn't be unusual.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
I've just used a large adjustable spanner as a clamp on the flat section just below the nipple and go by feel as to how much resistance I should apply when tightening a spoke; its more just holding the spoke in place on loosening. Touchwood that has worked for me but buckles haven't been severe.

When in doubt, ditch the plastic and use a monster size wrench which'll take no jip. Like it, HLAB!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The best bet is to put a bit of cardboard or something in the spoke holder slot so that it stays there by itself.

Now if you turn the nipple the blade holder will also turn and you can keep a mental record of what is happening.

ps- you don't always hear the dreaded crack especially if the spoke has already been loosened in use.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
What a spot on forum, many thanks to the usual suspects, Pete, HLAB and RecordAce.

Work cut out tomorrow and if not then the LBS and I'll be more successful, hopefully with some non-bladed spokes on t'other machine some other time.

Top Bottom