Trying to choose my second road bike - help me spend some money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's the two words together, and notable commuter.

I'd like to see how the rack and mudguards are fitted ;) if not using a rack, it's quite an extreme position for carrying a backpack :whistle:

I also wouldn't leave a £7k bike locked up in the City of London where my office is located! Or indeed at any workplace frankly.

Why are a 4x4 or 2 seater not practical for commuting to work? I've certainly used the latter in the past :smile:
I've never owned one but I'm not sure what's so impractical about a 4x4 for most people who buy them

outlash

also available in orange
So a bike that'll be light and aggressive enough for relative sprints like on a triathlon, yet comfortable enough for longer distances like sportives and preferably rack and guard mounts for commuting. Sounds like you're looking for the perfect bike like the rest of us!

vickster

Legendary Member
So a bike that'll be light and aggressive enough for relative sprints like on a triathlon, yet comfortable enough for longer distances like sportives and preferably rack and guard mounts for commuting. Sounds like you're looking for the perfect bike like the rest of us!
But where's the fun in having only one bike? :whistle:

lee1980sim

It's the two words together, and notable commuter.

I'd like to see how the rack and mudguards are fitted ;) if not using a rack, it's quite an extreme position for carrying a backpack :whistle:

I also wouldn't leave a £7k bike locked up in the City of London where my office is located! Or indeed at any workplace frankly.

Why are a 4x4 or 2 seater not practical for commuting to work? I've certainly used the latter in the past :smile:
I've never owned one but I'm not sure what's so impractical about a 4x4 for most people who buy them

rack & mudguards = duct tape :wacko:
backpacks not needed now I've sussed the rack

7k bike is fine to leave provided its properly locked and insured, just the same as and expensive car or motorbike is

4x4 and 2 seater extreme sports car (as in a lambo etc) are impractical as sitting in traffic isn't what they're intended for which I'm guessing was your point about the bike

vickster

Legendary Member
No it was the ability to add mudguards and rack plus the security issue. Have you looked at how much away from home cover insurance for a 7k bike might be.

OP
OP
A

AlexRoy

For £5k you could always get two bikes...

Oh dear, don't say that! Now you've got me looking at all sorts!!

-

The S3's really nice actually, think I prefer the Canyon though. Hadn't looked at Merida at all and their range is huge.. Job for tonight.

Triathlon/TT bike would make perfect sense if my thinking was purely logical, but I tend to struggle with that when spending money :smile: In my head, I'm thinking that if I treat myself to a new bike, I'd like to be able to use it maybe 50% of the time. Points taken though, who's to say I couldn't commute on one?! Other then feeling like a bit of a knob I'm sure it'd be great fun!

There's always one.. :laugh: What I was trying articulate my friend, is that on the scale of comfort (1) to speed (10), I'd like something that's around a 7 or an 8. Y'know, to see me though a triathlon, but at the same time won't be completely bone shattering or leave me too sore if I want to take it on a short/medium sportive route (Certainly no rack required for my commute, just a small backpack!) Sadly, this has been translated to "I want the bike that does everything perfectly with no compromise". To better articulate what I want, I could do a couple of charts/graphs for you using stationary from this well-known retailer - http://goo.gl/WdTKA ;) Just kidding!

vickster

Legendary Member
Where do you commute? Countryside or city. I'm guessing the former if looking for speed!
Also bear in mind that TT bikes nor tri bars aren't always/ever? Permitted on sportives. E.g ride London

OP
OP
A

AlexRoy

Where do you commute? Countryside or city. I'm guessing the former if looking for speed!
Also bear in mind that TT bikes nor tri bars aren't always/ever? Permitted on sportives. E.g ride London

Good question. My morning commute starts off with a 3 mile cycle path, then takes me through the city and back out towards the office which is in a rural location. On the way home I go 'the back way' which is all countryside, about a mile further a much quicker! Probably average 16mph on the way in and 20mph on the way home.

I was thinking something I could take bars on/off of would be good actually.

vickster

Legendary Member
So a racy roadbike then. Time to start window shopping and tyre kicking. Bike choice is very individual especially when you are looking to spend more and a wide range of frames and components come into play

How rough is the path, will you be slowed by peds etc

OP
OP
A

AlexRoy

I'd say 90% of it is smooth. Sometimes use the road next to it if I'm going for a PB.

Don't get held up by peds very often, cyclists are the main issue, ironically

Top Bottom