Trying to find some history on my bike maker...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Shalesearcher

Regular
That's diplomatic of you! Why not just call the OP an idiot for buying such junk?

I think a better and more productive response would be to say 'It's a fairly low spec bike but why not use it for a while and see how you get on with it and cycling. This will perhaps give you an idea of what you want to look for in your next bike'.

Not posting pictures after that set of comments, I had a £35,000+ Jaguar, a friend bought a 5 Yr old Dacia Sondero, I wouldn't have dared to say to him it's garbage!! and he's a friend, wouldn't dream of saying it to a stranger!!

In fact, it was also damn rude..
Other cycling forums out there, think I will go and have another look at them, my last comment on this forum..

Not posting pictures after that set of comments, I had a £35,000+ Jaguar, a friend bought a 5 Yr old Dacia Sondero, I wouldn't have dared to say to him it's garbage!! and he's a friend, wouldn't dream of saying it to a stranger!!

Other cycling forums out there, think I will go and have another look at them, my last comment on this forum..
@I like Skol didn't say it was garbage, that was another poster.

It's a cheap bike. Please don't take criticism of it personally.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm confused :wacko:

Have I upset someone? I simply said it's a cheap bike, but I also said it will do the job just fine. If I have read things correctly from your other posts @Shalesearcher things aren't great for you financially at the moment. The bike you have is the bike it is, so I suggest you wind your neck in and stop harping on about how successful you once were and get on with living in the situation you are in now. If you get upset and throw your toys out of the pram every time you think someone is looking down on you it will only be you that suffers and you will lose out on a lot of help, advice and goodwill as a result!

Just ride the damn bike, that's all that matters.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Firstly @Shalesearcher can I apologise, I read your initial post rather quickly and presumed it was a bike you were looking at buying, having read your post again quite clearly that is not the case., I didn’t want you to make the same mistake as I did when I bought a second hand full suspension mountain bike about 12 years ago, although not the same brand it was similar to the Excel branded bike I pictured. Mine was a CBR Hornet, it was horrible. Your bike may be much better and no relation to the bike I pictured.

Edit - apologies to @I like Skol too, you look to have got some flack when it was quite clearly my rudeness.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Spiderweb, OK you weren't very diplomatic, but you spoke the truth nonetheless. These low-end full-sus MTB's really ARE pieces of junk, and that's coming from someone whose own "good" bikes would still be regarded as BSO's by many on here. I bought one such full-sus heap for literally a pint, the other day. I don't want the bike, I'm just going to strip the alloy wheels and drivetrain off it for spares. The Zebedee bounce-along suspension frame will be going straight in the skip, where it belongs. They seem like quite a perverse feat of engineering to me, given they seem to actually amplify the effects of riding on rough surfaces rather than damp them out. Give me a basic solid frame, rigid fork machine any day.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Spiderweb might not have a career in the diplomatic service but he was telling it like it is, as @SkipdiverJohn points out. I’ve had a few that the local lads bring to me to fix and some you simply can’t do anything with. I don’t think his remarks were particularly offensive but you can’t legislate for the thickness or otherwise of peoples skins.

Jody

Stubborn git

Shame, but having been on a few of them they probably won't be as diplomatic!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
34 posts, all asking for help or chatting with people who were offering it. But apparently we are no longer good enough to give him free advice.

Lol.
@Spiderweb might not have a career in the diplomatic service but he was telling it like it is, as @SkipdiverJohn points out. I’ve had a few that the local lads bring to me to fix and some you simply can’t do anything with. I don’t think his remarks were particularly offensive but you can’t legislate for the thickness or otherwise of peoples skins.
Spiderweb, OK you weren't very diplomatic, but you spoke the truth nonetheless. These low-end full-sus MTB's really ARE pieces of junk, and that's coming from someone whose own "good" bikes would still be regarded as BSO's by many on here. I bought one such full-sus heap for literally a pint, the other day. I don't want the bike, I'm just going to strip the alloy wheels and drivetrain off it for spares. The Zebedee bounce-along suspension frame will be going straight in the skip, where it belongs. They seem like quite a perverse feat of engineering to me, given they seem to actually amplify the effects of riding on rough surfaces rather than damp them out. Give me a basic solid frame, rigid fork machine any day.
It's all my fault and it looks as though @Shalesearcher may have left cycle chat, I feel terrible.

Top Bottom