Trying to find some history on my bike maker...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shalesearcher

Regular
Right folks, and folkesses, trying to find details on my bike manufacturer, the info on the frame says Excel Cycles, England, there's also a big "X" sort of behind the above text.... Any ideas?? I have searched high and low on the interweb, with no joy... Surely it can't be that unique, or unheard of? It doesn't contain any sort of address or City of origin, though it does say "Assembled in Britain" (slight worried look on face) Any help appreciated....

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of bike is it? Photos would help. Assembled suggests it’s a non British frame

classic33

Leg End Member
Right folks, and folkesses, trying to find details on my bike manufacturer, the info on the frame says Excel Cycles, England, there's also a big "X" sort of behind the above text.... Any ideas?? I have searched high and low on the interweb, with no joy... Surely it can't be that unique, or unheard of? It doesn't contain any sort of address or City of origin, though it does say "Assembled in Britain" (slight worried look on face) Any help appreciated....
This the sort of thing?
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/excel2collierswood.html

classic33

Leg End Member
This the sort of thing?
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/excel2collierswood.html

vickster

Legendary Member
The only Excel MTBs with full suspension that Google show look like Apollo BSOs and the like

OP
OP
S

Shalesearcher

Regular
I will take a, picture or two shortly, and post em... I don't think it's a dreaded "BSO" I think it's a little better than that, but likewise, it's not a £500/£600+ bike either.... I didn't buy it new, I bought it 2nd hand... I cannot find any photos of it online, anywhere!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I hate to say it but when I first saw the pictures you posted HERE my first thought was low-end steel framed full-suss BSO. That's not to say it won't do what you want it to do for a while but I wouldn't spend much on big repairs or upgrading and don't expect to be able to hit the MTB trails with any success. If you just need it for the short ride to work and back it will be fine, but not the most suitable machine for the job.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg

From what I know Excel full suspension mountain bikes are garbage, you see a lot of that kind of bike usually in household waste.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
View attachment 386037
From what I know Excel full suspension mountain bikes are garbage, you see a lot of that kind of bike usually in household waste.
That's diplomatic of you! Why not just call the OP an idiot for buying such junk?

I think a better and more productive response would be to say 'It's a fairly low spec bike but why not use it for a while and see how you get on with it and cycling. This will perhaps give you an idea of what you want to look for in your next bike'.

Top Bottom