Trying to get back in to biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Dear oh dear why chose a Brompton! That's not a good bike for a serious cyclist who wants to cycle for fitness. I don't think it'll be comfortable enough for some decent miles.

I personally would have gone for a hybrid bike, or a mountain bike so I could find some good tracks and get lost in them. I'm not sure you can go off road with them as they are not strong enough.

I know, I know - a bike is a bike and I should keep my opinions to myself - but this is just my opinion - but I feel all Bromptons should be parked in a bin.
Nonsense, mine will go anywhere a hybrid will and has down with a few riders on here.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Hi all. Thank you so much for the positive posts and really helpful ideas to get me re-started back on the bike.

I'm sure you regulars must see newbies like me all the time. I appreciate your patience.

I can't wait to get the brompton but its still a month away. I'm spending the time researching routes and getting some kit together.

I'm looking in to the brompton specific tool kit because I have to carry something in case of puncture. I'm guessing its that or the Full Windsor Nutter that's also small and compact.

Thanks again for everyone's advice...

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You don't need tools with a Brompton - any problems just fold it up and jump on a bus :smile:

I now run my tyres with Slime in them as I find the Brompton punctures more often than my hybrid. My commute is 5 miles & the Slime is usually good enough to get me home. I carry spare lights but no tools. The Brompton pump is more ornamental than useful - I clip a light onto it. Keep a decent pump at home.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for the link to Slime. I see from the description that it stays liquid. What do you do with it when repairing a puncture?
You put it in the tubes, or buy preloaded tubes, then when you get a puncture, you remove the spike, pump back up and the fibres in the slime mat and repair the puncture for you.

The drawbacks are it's relatively expensive, it's messy if it fails (cut tube, blowout or similar), it's extra weight and doesn't last forever.

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:
I think most important thing is to enjoy your cycling and have fun :bicycle: :smile:.
If you go out for as long as you feel comfortable to start and then build it up from there.
P.S. I'd love a Brompton, thinks they are very practical and :becool:

IBarrett

Über Member
Welcome aboard and congratulations on buying a Brompton. They are great little bikes and more comfortable than people give them credit for. Which one did you buy and in what colour?

As others have said, get on it and ride but don't go too mad or you'll kill yourself first time out and won't want to ride again. Try to the local shops and back or something, you don't have to do 20 miles for at least a couple of months so don't beat yourself up for just riding a few miles a week. Your confidence and strength will come the more you ride and at least you are out there doing something instead of vegetating on the sofa

Get yourself a decent waterproof jacket and some gloves as an absolute minimum and build up your kit from there.

Most of all don't forget to look up and enjoy yourself. The world isn't just black tarmac and its wonderful this time of year so lift your head, look around and take in the scenery those whizzing past in cars are missing.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Which one did you buy and in what colour?

I went for a lagoon blue M3E, black extremeties, 12% gear reduction and dynamo lights. Should be enough to get me places...

Thanks have to go out to CycleScheme. Without these cycle to work schemes, bikes like the Brompton would be out of reach to normal folk...

Have to say, Ive been on some forums in my time. Cars, motorbikes, mobile phones, money and this place is the friendliest by far... Respect to you all... Keep it up! Us newbies reallty do appreciate it.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
In case you're wondering what taking it easy means, these are the figures for my OH & my initial rides, admittedly along the canal, starting November before last.

Miles Duration Max Avg
3.3 00:58:04 11 4.2
3.7 01:04:33 12 4.3
3.1 00:43:41 10 4.5
3.9 01:20:01 13 4.0
3.7 01:13:46 13 4.3

You'll be able to better those on a smooth road though.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks for the link to Slime. I see from the description that it stays liquid. What do you do with it when repairing a puncture?
To be honest I don't repair them. The slime is usually good enough to get me home & I replace the tube rather than patch it. I think you could probably put a patch on though - it's a rather viscous liquid.

If you decide to use it you can find it cheaper in Wilkinsons than in the bike shops.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi all

In my teenage years I had a Raleigh Carlton Corsair and rode everywhere on it.

30 years on and I'm 4 stones too heavy and need to lose weight.

My company has joined the CycleScheme. I had a look around and due to storage issues I quickly realised a folder was the only option for me so I ordered a Brompton.

I can't wait to get it and and very keen to get back in to cycling. I would welcome any tips and words of advice to get back in to a routine again...

I have checked my weight on the recommended limits for the brompton and I'm ok so that's good news.

So basically I'm after words of wisdom and advice for someone that's very unfit.

sit on the saddle, pedal, enjoy.

you know your limits if comfort and endurance, don't go mad and put yourself off. Bromptons are great fun

Reactions: mjr

ozboz

Guru
I had a go on a brompton, one night outside a pub in Putney , I found it ok ,at that time I only had my MTB ,s/h GT , done it up , loads of fun , I hadnt had a bike for 44 years or so , so yes ! it was a killer in the beginning, I made a point of riding along the river and canal at first, my first 10 miles were to Putney and back ! I went out and bought meself a yellow jersey !!
Was enjoyable , esp canal riding , I would always offer a hand to operate locks with barge people ,so made interesting chat and the ride more enjoyable , I find if there is a purpose to my ride , I enjoy it lot more , I am going to the Velodrome this week , just to check it out ,
Enjoy your riding,

RichardB

Slightly retro
I had a Carlton Corsair as my first 'decent' bike. It took me on tours, commuting, everywhere. I wish I knew what had happened to it ...

As others have said, take it easy and enjoy the riding, above all. You'll need to push yourself a bit to make improvements, but only what you are comfortable with. If it becomes painful or a chore, you won't stick with it. For me, the fitness gains came quite quickly, and in steps - one minute a hill is an Olympian struggle, the next you hardly notice it. (OK, I exaggerate!) The fitness gains knock on into other areas of your life, too. I now walk everywhere if I'm not cycling, I walk round the lanes on my days off for pleasure, I choose to walk rather than take a vehicle at work, and I am walking twice as far and twice as fast.

Top Bottom