Trying to get back in to biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plumpton

Regular
Hi all

In my teenage years I had a Raleigh Carlton Corsair and rode everywhere on it.

30 years on and I'm 4 stones too heavy and need to lose weight.

My company has joined the CycleScheme. I had a look around and due to storage issues I quickly realised a folder was the only option for me so I ordered a Brompton.

I can't wait to get it and and very keen to get back in to cycling. I would welcome any tips and words of advice to get back in to a routine again...

I have checked my weight on the recommended limits for the brompton and I'm ok so that's good news.

So basically I'm after words of wisdom and advice for someone that's very unfit.

13 rider

Guru
Just take it steady . too hard too soon will put you off . Just get out riding at a nice distance for you and enjoy and iimprovment will come

MikeW-71

Veteran
As they say, don't push too hard too soon. You'll really feel it on the first rides, so if they are just a mile or two, then that's fine.

Ride regularly and you'll see a big improvement very quickly.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Doobiesis

Über Member
Dear oh dear why chose a Brompton! That's not a good bike for a serious cyclist who wants to cycle for fitness. I don't think it'll be comfortable enough for some decent miles.

I personally would have gone for a hybrid bike, or a mountain bike so I could find some good tracks and get lost in them. I'm not sure you can go off road with them as they are not strong enough.

I know, I know - a bike is a bike and I should keep my opinions to myself - but this is just my opinion - but I feel all Bromptons should be parked in a bin.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Thanks for your replies. I really wanted to get a hybrid and frankly could have spent less then half what I've spent on the cyclescheme to get the brompton but I've got no where to keep it at home.

10 years back I owned a strida 3 and a dahon for a year but life pressures stopped me at the time.

I know a hybrid would have been a much better ride but it would not have worked for me.

I think the brompton will open up a new style of cycling for me. It'll also allow me to drive somewhere and get the bike out do some local cycling that would be out of reach otherwise due to fitness levels.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Just a bit more info on my previous attempts to restart cycling...

The strida was terrible and the belt kept slipping everytime I tried to go up hill and the dahon couldn't handle my weight at the time :-(

I've tried the brompton a number of times and it feels my secure under me...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Brompton has simple but effective rear suspension, so that end is at least as comfy as a hybrid, if not more so.

The front end can be a bit harsh, and the steering twitchy, but it's also direct which is ideal for a beginner - you won't get a more manoeuvrable bike.

Maybe not the most comfortable for longer rides, but plenty of people tour on them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dear oh dear why chose a Brompton!
Because of storage. Didn't you read the opening post?

Build up gradually. The Brompton has the advantage that it's easy to sling on the train and I think they're allowed on buses around Cambridge if bagged, so that opens up more rides so you're not just riding the same loops until you build the distance up. The cycle tracks alongside the busway are good fun too, fairly smooth, fairly flat and cover distance without worrying about junctions except where it crosses the roads.

www.camcycle.org.uk does a few relaxed rides. If you can build up to 28 miles with a halfway stop, there's probably a Reach ride on Mayday bank holiday which is a good giggle.

Good luck!

Take 3 weeks to build up distance very gradually to get your body used to activity and cycling. It is easier to pace yourself by time rather than distance. Start at 10mins and increase by 5 mins or so each ride.
Don't ride too hard for the first 3 weeks, you are not an athlete changing sport but a couch potato learning to be active again.
After 3 or so weeks, your body will have adjusted and you will be able to use cycling to improve fitness. Regular rides of 40mins or more at a steady pace are probably the best method for you. Create a few circuits in each direction, and always head out into the wind.
You can use your Brommie for errands, shopping, maybe commuting. All miles are good miles for general fitness. Brommies are neat little bikes that ride and store well and hold their value. Kit up with lights, luggage, repair kit, gloves , helmet as appropriate.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all

In my teenage years I had a Raleigh Carlton Corsair and rode everywhere on it.

30 years on and I'm 4 stones too heavy and need to lose weight.

My company has joined the CycleScheme. I had a look around and due to storage issues I quickly realised a folder was the only option for me so I ordered a Brompton.

I can't wait to get it and and very keen to get back in to cycling. I would welcome any tips and words of advice to get back in to a routine again...

I have checked my weight on the recommended limits for the brompton and I'm ok so that's good news.

So basically I'm after words of wisdom and advice for someone that's very unfit.

Depending on how far you are commuting and so forth, but my approach was to start at one day a week and build up.

For commuting it's all about the preperation.
1 Know your route before you set off.
2 Take your work wear in for the week one day.
3 Lay out everything you need to ride the night before.
4 Test fixing a puncture at home.
5 Unless you are riding multiple hours at a time, don't increase your eating

Dear oh dear why chose a Brompton!

I personally would have gone for a hybrid bike, or a mountain bike

but I feel all Bromptons should be parked in a bin.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm quite sure he has room in the house as opposed to parking it in the bin.
Being a MTB'er I would have recommended a Mountain bike, but I've been doing it for 24 years,so the bug has bitten long time ago.
Point is,he can get fit doing any form of cycling as long as he keeps it up.
Cycling to work and leisure time really builds up the miles over time.
You don't need to be thrashing the hell out of a trail to lose the pounds.
It's a sport to me first,the fitness side comes as a bonus.
You and I just love that certain type of cycling for our enjoyment.
Some wouldn't.

Welcome:welcome:. My advice for newbies / returnees, is just to take it nice and easy to begin. Enjoy the cycling, the weight will soon start to drop off, and your mileages will increase.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom