Biking etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nunu3

Hi,
I'm starting up biking again after a long time, and I have what probably sounds like a dumb question. But I'm gonna ask it anyway.
When someone gives u way when cycling, e.g when u ring ur bell and walkers move to one side, do u say thank you?
I know the answer is probably yes, but I just wanted to check.(yes, I know this is a silly question, but its to do with a type of anxiety I have).

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, definitely say thank you :smile:
Pedestrians have priority over cycles on a shared path even if that side is marked with a bike

Big John

Guru
I'm a tight wad since I retired and the way I look at it is this.....how much does it cost to say 'Thank you'? Nowt. So where's the harm in saying thank you? It's cost nothing and you've probably made their day. I even thank drivers by giving them a passing wave if I think they've gone out of their way to give me a bit of room on tight country lanes. Whether it's part of the cycling etiquette or not I'm pretty sure a thank you is always appreciated 👍

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm British therefore I say 'thank you' and 'sorry' to everyone even when I have been wronged in the most heinous of ways. I also always tell waiters that the food is wonderful when they ask even though I am about to be sick in my mouth. Saying thank you to someone who has actually been helpful is the least I can do.

Alex321

Veteran
Hi,
I'm starting up biking again after a long time, and I have what probably sounds like a dumb question. But I'm gonna ask it anyway.
When someone gives u way when cycling, e.g when u ring ur bell and walkers move to one side, do u say thank you?
I know the answer is probably yes, but I just wanted to check.(yes, I know this is a silly question, but its to do with a type of anxiety I have).

Absolutely. I don't actually have a bell on my bike, but if I'm coming up behind pedestrians, I will call out from at least 50 yards away - usually something like "on your right" to warn them I will be passing on their right.

And also acknowledge (usually with a wave) motor vehicle drivers who give way to you on narrow roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Absolutely. I don't actually have a bell on my bike, but if I'm coming up behind pedestrians, I will call out from at least 50 yards away - usually something like "on your right" to warn them I will be passing on their right.
Please get a bell. Shouting "Anya Wright" or anything at walkers is not a good look.

usually something like "on your right" to warn them I will be passing on their right.
This really winds me up.

Not everyone understands what "on your right" means. It's jargon.
Many people won't hear clearly and focus on the last word, likely stepping into your way, not out of it.

Other than organised sports I can't think of any interaction where such a phrase would be acceptable.

Then, if course, the person may not speak English!

Bells can be a bit shouty, and even entitled at times.
Interestingly, in other countries not ringing your bell is seen as entitled.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I'm British therefore I say 'thank you' and 'sorry' to everyone even when I have been wronged in the most heinous of ways. I also always tell waiters that the food is wonderful when they ask even though I am about to be sick in my mouth. Saying thank you to someone who has actually been helpful is the least I can do.

Found myself wrapped in one of those extended leads a while back, the pedestrian being deep in conversation with their smartphone. Heard myself saying "I am so sorry!" as I picked some of my limbs off the track and took the dog's jaw off my boot. Might've added "And are Fido's teeth alright?" and "Can I buy you an even longer lead, in a darker colour?"

It does sometimes cost a fair bit to be courteous, actually...

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
This really winds me up.

Not everyone understands what "on your right" means. It's jargon.
Many people won't hear clearly and focus on the last word, likely stepping into your way, not out of it.

Other than organised sports I can't think of any interaction where such a phrase would be acceptable.

Then, if course, the person may not speak English!

Interestingly, in other countries not ringing your bell is seen as entitled.

The horse riders locally seem to appreciate the on your left or right...

Top Bottom