Biking etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The horse riders locally seem to appreciate the on your left or right...

I'm sure they do.
Being in charge of big animals in a public place I'm sure they're also more alert to what is going on around them and are probably used to all the variations of approaches that can be used.
Joe or Josephine Soap out for a stroll probably not so much.

Interestingly, I never use my bell when approaching a horse. I always call out to the rider.

Alex321

Veteran
Please get a bell. Shouting "Anya Wright" or anything at walkers is not a good look.

Surprisingly, it is not easy to find a suitable bell for an adult bike, even though legally they should be sold with one. I would prefer to have one, of the type which make a single "ding" sound - the one like that I had on my last bike was very effective until it broke.

Which is similar to the law on pedal reflectors being required but very hard to actually comply if you are using clipless pedals.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Surprisingly, it is not easy to find a suitable bell for an adult bike, even though legally they should be sold with one. I would prefer to have one, of the type which make a single "ding" sound - the one like that I had on my last bike was very effective until it broke.

Which is similar to the law on pedal reflectors being required but very hard to actually comply if you are using clipless pedals.

It is easy. Got a ding one from Planet X, and a Rock Bros one that's a copy of an expensive one for peanuts - that mikes a nice ping.

Alex321

Veteran
This really winds me up.

Not everyone understands what "on your right" means. It's jargon.
Many people won't hear clearly and focus on the last word, likely stepping into your way, not out of it.
That is why I always call from a good distance back. Gives them time to turn and see me, and gives me time to react if they move the "wrong" way.

I don't understand why you think it "jargon" either, it seems perfectly normal to me.

Other than organised sports I can't think of any interaction where such a phrase would be acceptable.

Then, if course, the person may not speak English!

Possibly, but quite rare on the country roads and occasional shared use paths around the Vale of Glamorgan.

Interestingly, in other countries not ringing your bell is seen as entitled.
I would prefer to have a bell.

The main issue with dinging a bell is that if you are coming up behind a group, they will almost always seem to split rather than all moving the same way, but that is just trivially irritating, not a real problem.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Please get a bell. Shouting "Anya Wright" or anything at walkers is not a good look.

Its not a "look" at all its a "sound".

It doesn't really might whether your shout a cheery good morning or ding a bell, unless its a horse, and then "hello bike approaching" is defo more appreciate than a bell. "morning big arse" is also appropriate.:okay:

Alex321

Veteran
It is easy. Got a ding one from Planet X, and a Rock Bros one that's a copy of an expensive one for peanuts - that mikes a nice ping.

They do seem to have a nice selection.

And actually, so do others now - when I looked last year, hardly anywhere seemed to have them that would fit 31.8mm handlebars, but Tredz have several now - and a shop near my office - I prefer to get from a shop as it is easier to buy without my wife noticing :smile: .

I'll be getting one in the next week or two.

Yep, as others have said, it doesn't cost to be courteous.

A lot of narrow lanes in this neck of the woods, and pinch points (often parked cars) in the villages. I'll ride in the middle of the road to prevent close passes, but will *ALWAYS* wave a thank you to a driver who has either been caught behind me, or who has waited for me to negotiate the pinch point. Horses (again, plenty of those around as there's a major school / eventing centre nearby) I prefer to pass wide and slow without shouting or using a bell.

Cambridge - and the shared use sections of NCN11 - is a different kettle of fish. I've got a bell on the hybrid which I'll use, but I'll also shout "cyclist coming through" as sometimes a bell can be lost in the traffic noise and general unawaredness of some pedestrians.

I got a bell from Wilkos for, IIRC, £2. Makes a nice clear, loud, single 'ding' with a non-aggressive 'tone'. I usually give it a double ding and say thank you as I pass. I sometimes make a complimentary remark about the dog, or make a light-hearted suggestion that the parent trying to safely 'steer' the child on the scooter or balance bike, will soon need to be on a bike themselves to keep up with the youngster.
Motorists who wait to pass me, or pause to let me through, get a thumbs up from me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi,
I'm starting up biking again after a long time, and I have what probably sounds like a dumb question. But I'm gonna ask it anyway.
When someone gives u way when cycling, e.g when u ring ur bell and walkers move to one side, do u say thank you?
I know the answer is probably yes, but I just wanted to check.(yes, I know this is a silly question, but its to do with a type of anxiety I have).

Yes, always. Also if you use a bell, start using it a fair way back rather than a loud ring when you're about to go past - otherwise they may end-up leaping in front of you.

But the best etiquette is to go slowly and give everyone time to accommodate each other....

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I always use my bell and say thank you as I go passed, but I get annoyed with walkers with earphones on listening to the radio or music as they can't hear you no matter how much you ring your bell. With them , as I get very close, I shout: BIKE. It usually gets them back in the real world. Some of them has even got the cheek to say: Why don't you use a bell?

Top Bottom