Biking etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Nunu3

Thanks guys. I was wondering because most other cyclists don't seem to say thank you when I give room, unless they use their bell and I very obviously make room.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As a rule I always thank people. Worst case it's met with indifference and there's no harm done; best case they're really appreciative and everyone goes away a bit happier for zero effort.

Exceptions include situations where they're clearly taking the pish such as walking in cycle lanes, not responding to fifteen consecutive rings as I get ever closer...

Last edited:
Generally, Mrs Salad and I cycle together, and use a lot of the shared paths that are plentiful down here.
My ebike has a " ping" bell, but her one has a built in buzzer, so I let her go first and sound her buzzer at any walkers. One or both of us will always say "thank you" if they move aside.
Although we ride ebikes, we have a policy of not storming past walkers at high speed, but instead we slow to a very sedate pace to pass people.

OP
OP
N

Nunu3

Although I will say that the majority of times here (london) in my experience has been most cyclists don't say thank you, especially if I move over without anyone having to ring a bell........

I always call from a good distance back. Gives them time to turn and see me, and gives me time to react if they move the "wrong" way.
If that is how most interactions occur then I'm at a loss as to why a friendlier or better understood call rather than "on your right" wouldn't be better.

I don't understand why you think it "jargon" either, it seems perfectly normal to me.

I think it's "jargon" because on its own "on your right" makes no sense. It needs something else added to it, such as "cyclist coming..."
A lot of cyclists (and possibly runners) may understand it, but most people won't. Hence jargon.

I would prefer to have a bell.
Then get a bell.
Decathlon have them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I get into a full-blown conversation with them. Really, not kidding. We have a chat for a couple of minutes but the longest ones have been for around 10 minutes. Good way meet people.

Have done the same, often with dog-walkers who always appreciate you being super-considerate - it show's we are not the imagined enemy....

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Surprisingly, it is not easy to find a suitable bell for an adult bike, even though legally they should be sold with one. I would prefer to have one, of the type which make a single "ding" sound - the one like that I had on my last bike was very effective until it broke.

Which is similar to the law on pedal reflectors being required but very hard to actually comply if you are using clipless pedals.

Ebay or Amazon for a couple of pounds will get you a simple "single ting" bell, delivered to your door.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39415596...CDBnxuj4gevuGKDjRbtQUp+r5udY|tkp:BFBM9rHnuvBg

Sharky

Guru
The horse riders locally seem to appreciate the on your left or right...

I usually call out from a distance "cyclist behind - Is it OK to come through" and wait for them to tuck into the side and wave me through.
Also, if I am riding with a flashing front light, I will cover it up with my hand . The latter more important when the horse and rider are facing you and coming towards you.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I usually call out from a distance "cyclist behind - Is it OK to come through" and wait for them to tuck into the side and wave me through.
Also, if I am riding with a flashing front light, I will cover it up with my hand . The latter more important when the horse and rider are facing you and coming towards you.

When racing ( running ) against my club mates, on the rare occasion that I would overtake them I'd call out a cheery " Athlete coming through... " ( that is unless we were close to the finishing line, then I'd go into "stealth " mode so they didn't have time to respond to my push to the line 😁 )

Top Bottom