Trying to get the politicians and municipalities to take us seriously

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bigal1956

Regular
How dare we be expected to set an example!

No one else bothers, so why should we be treated any differently?
That's exactly the problem, no one cares so we just go ahead and do our thing, regardless

OP
OP
B

bigal1956

Regular
Are you for real?

Apart from the odd PoB on the pavement, I very rarely see cyclists misbehaving, yet the number of badly behaved (and therefore dangerous) drivers that I see every day when I'm cycling and driving is out of order. Speeding and tailgating being the most common issues when I'm in my car, close passing, tailgating or passing and cutting in too quickly when I'm cycling.

The key point is that a cyclist misbehaving is putting him/herself in danger, while a driver misbehaving is putting everybody else in danger.

I would guess you don't cycle regularly on busy city streets and have never commuted by bike.
I was cycling in Vancouver before there were any bike lanes, pedaled 30k a day to work, haven't owned a car in over 20 yrs

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst the idea is superficially "reasonable", I'm sure everyone on here has had the lecture about "you lot run red lights", yet the driver making that complaint doesn't see himself having the slightest responsible for the significant numbers of cyclists who have been (even deliberately) knocked down by a car. And we are somehow expected to be responsible for the poor cycling of others - which frankly rarely causes serious harm - as evidenced by the fact it makes national news and gets manslaughter charges when it does.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, I have stopped snorting lines of cole while riding the bike in order to appear more acceptable to Daily Mail readers and the Republican Party.

Whilst the idea is superficially "reasonable", I'm sure everyone on here has had the lecture about "you lot run red lights", yet the driver making that complaint doesn't see himself having the slightest responsible for the significant numbers of cyclists who have been (even deliberately) knocked down by a car. And we are somehow expected to be responsible for the poor cycling of others - which frankly rarely causes serious harm - as evidenced by the fact it makes national news and gets manslaughter charges when it does.
Ok - "you lot run red lights"

OK fine - I cycle - so I am a cyclist
and what you have just said makes me part of the running light brigade

OOOOOk - fine

so you drive a car
so you - clearly - feel a responsibility and admit to guilt for the people I see speeding, talking and texting one a phone, eating big Macs
and all that stuff
and, of course, all the drunk drivers I read about
sooooo
you are assuming responsibility for 'that' drunk that killed someone last week - and that woman who killed someone outside that USA base a while ago by driving on the wrong side of the road

$deity you must feel bad

Oh - so that is not down to you??????

OK - so why is some teenager in a black hoody running a red light my problem
or a good reason why you do not treat the next cyclist you meet on the road with a reasonable level of respect

lets just be sensible here

classic33

Leg End Member
That's perfect, just pull the shorts down a bit and give 'em some Crack
And that's setting an example!

How goes the scuba diving in Florida?

To be fair, I have stopped snorting lines of cole while riding the bike in order to appear more acceptable to Daily Mail readers and the Republican Party.
Is that typo meant to say coke or coal? Only I've now got this vision of you snorting great lumps of anthracite, the alternative is just as problematic 'cos most of it would get blown away in your slipstream, but if that is the case can I come and sit on your wheel for a bit?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No, it's owning up to being the person you wish all to be

No, it's accepting blame for the faults of others. You put it clearly in your opening post:
... when we behave as badly as the drivers who are trying to kill us !! when we smarten up and behave then we might have a chance, ...

There is no 'we'.

When I ride my bike I do so within the law and with consideration for others. Am I due less respect or safety from the driver of a motor vehicle because he once saw a cyclist jump a red light somewhere? Of course not, that's a ridiculous notion. It gives freedom to drivers to harass or endanger people who cycle just because of their chosen mode of transport.

I get this at work from time to time and always push back. I only get it from newbies now and even then it only happens once.

This sounds very similar to the other thread about curfewing Men, we're not ALL rapists but a lot of Women are afraid and have to treat us as if we were, apparently.

Only a few people who ride bikes are knobh*ads but maybe a lot of car drivers think we all are.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This sounds very similar to the other thread about curfewing Men, we're not ALL rapists but a lot of Women are afraid and have to treat us as if we were, apparently.

Only a few people who ride bikes are knobh*ads but maybe a lot of car drivers think we all are.

I think that's a clumsy comparison to make, Shep.

Drivers have nothing to fear from someone on a bike.

Top Bottom