Trying to identify a bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldtel

Hi Chris, the Dawes serial numbers are a lost cause, I don't think there is an explanation to them without a factory ledger, which I believe were lost in a fire or something, I have just seen similar Dawes with the serial number in that position, hence my direction, my 1936/7 Dawes has a 'P' as a prefix, there is a 36 is at the end but having seen other Dawes it is not a year code, just a coincidence. Good luck with it, Dawes do deserve some respect, they are usually hand built, made to a very good standard, and much loved. Thank Terry

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A couple of thoughts on this; the curvature of the fork blades is definitely "vintage", but also rather distinctive. You could probably at least rule out a lot of bike models and narrow it down just by comparing the forks.
I would also have a go at removing the top layer of paint using paint thinners, to see what survives underneath in the way of livery. Drastic mechanical abrasion or chemical strippers would likely obliterate what you are looking for, but a rag dipped in strong solvent may be able to remove rattle-can paint without destroying everything, if that's how it was painted last time.

OP
OP
C
OP
OP
C
Hi Chris, the Dawes serial numbers are a lost cause, I don't think there is an explanation to them without a factory ledger, which I believe were lost in a fire or something, I have just seen similar Dawes with the serial number in that position, hence my direction, my 1936/7 Dawes has a 'P' as a prefix, there is a 36 is at the end but having seen other Dawes it is not a year code, just a coincidence. Good luck with it, Dawes do deserve some respect, they are usually hand built, made to a very good standard, and much loved. Thank Terry
Hi "oldtel", further to your observations I think that coincidences are leading and on my frame rear lug is stamped PA .. .. 2372. The seat post number being VU2733 and a number 7 on the outside top of the cyclo derailleur jockey arm are leading me to assume 1937 'cyclo' sports . But not conclusive, thanks Chris.

Top Bottom