Trying to identify a bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently bought this bicycle at a car boot and am not sure what make it is. I initially thought it was a BSA but the pump lugs put me to think then that it was a SUN (1930s) or maybe a Carlton. The frame no VU 2733 and other details are in the photos. Could you please help to identify this bicycle.

Slick

Guru
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

A couple of things.

This section is really just for new members to introduce themselves and I think the best way to upload pictures is when you are composing a post, just to tune right of the post reply button, there is an upload a file button that you should hit to open up another menu to allow you to upload the desired pictures.

Hope this helps. :hello:

OP
OP
C
@Chris Shingler you might need to post a few more times before you can post pictures

@Moderators any chance of moving this to the Vintage and classic section please
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

A couple of things.

This section is really just for new members to introduce themselves and I think the best way to upload pictures is when you are composing a post, just to tune right of the post reply button, there is an upload a file button that you should hit to open up another menu to allow you to upload the desired pictures.

Hope this helps. :hello:

Thank you for your advice. iPads and forums are all new to me takes more time when you are older. Would rather be in my bike shed really.

OP
OP
C
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I recently bought this bicycle at a car boot and am not sure what make it is. I initially thought it was a BSA but the pump lugs put me to think then that it was a Sun (1930s) or maybe a Carlton. The frame no VU 2733 and other details are in the photos. Could you please help me ID this bicycle. Then I can start my search for genuine replacement parts.

oldtel

Hi Chris, it might be worth exploring Dawes, it looks mid 30's, I don't think its a Sun or Carlton, but you never know. Terry

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.
That'd a lovely thing Chris, at a guess I'd say thirties or forties but beyond that I wouldn't know. You might find some decals when you start removing all those layers of paint. Should make a great project, keep us updated.
Time to get stuck in with that iPad and do some research!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Oldtel has suggested that my mystery bike could be a Dawes and looking in the library it appears to be a 1937-8 'cyclo' sports model 24 gents Dawes. I now need confirmation through the frame number . The rear hub is freewheel pat. No. 461951 which was Bayliss+Wiley in 1936 .Thanks for your help oldtel , I feel like I'm getting somewhere now . The next thing is the correct head badge for that era.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oldtel has suggested that my mystery bike could be a Dawes and looking in the library it appears to be a 1937-8 'cyclo' sports model 24 gents Dawes. I now need confirmation through the frame number . The rear hub is freewheel pat. No. 461951 which was Bayliss+Wiley in 1936 .Thanks for your help oldtel , I feel like I'm getting somewhere now . The next thing is the correct head badge for that era.

There's a Dawes face book page who might like to see some pictures
Good luck with finding a headbadge

Top Bottom