Trying to identify this frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotstounman

Über Member
I have taken receipt of a road bike which belonged to my wife's uncle and which has hung in his garage in Glasgow for at least fifteen years. The uncle passed (at 80) away 10 years ago, and remaining family members are somewhat hazy in their recollection of its origin, but believe he inherited it from his father, suggesting it may have been in use in the 1950's or before. The bike received a refurbishment in around 1981, with new wheels, chain set and other components dated from that time, and a repaint which is still pretty intact. The frame has no head badge (just two rivet holes where one was attached, and a frame number stamped on the rear LHS dropout, which looks like "A0 459", though is quite hard to read. I have attempted to match the frame and its lugs, braze-ons and other features to others shown on this and other web sites, together with the frame number format. The nearest match I can get to is a Hobbs of Barbican around 1950 - the braze on eyes for the mudguards rather date the bike to this time, but I am not convinced. I attach a couple of pictures - I would appreciate and thoughts on what this frame might be.
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg
IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can’t help with the frame but the fitting for the centre pull brake would indicate early sixties on although it could have been added later. Very nice frame.

OP
OP
Scotstounman

Scotstounman

Über Member
Cycleops, the bike was fitted with centre pulls when received it. They are unbranded (picture below) but look like some Mafacs I used recently. Whether they were original or part of an upgrade, I cannot say.
IMG_3489.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @smokeysmoo

@Scotstounman i have no idea on make , but i can tell you one thing i love those lugs

Strange re stamping on bottom bracket and the one on the rear dropout being different , are there any stampings on the fork stearer ?

Those guard mounts deffo look earlier than 70's to me .

What are your plans ?

I know that it is a long process but if you look at different pictures of frame makers you may be able to identify the maker. Makers with badges with horizontal badge holes can be ruled out, also short badges.
Can you measure the distance between the hole centres?
The bottom bracket number looks like it has been cast as it looks raised.

OP
OP
Scotstounman

Scotstounman

Über Member
@biggs682, I have cleaned it up and reassembled, with some new cables and saddle (my wife’s cousin would like to ride it, but it’s a bit too big for her). If I can identify the frame
47A68D45-A317-4117-9D98-8CB065A85A17.jpeg
this my take on a new life as a restoration project, but it’s not my bike, so I’d need to do some persuading! It currently looks like this.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have taken receipt of a road bike which belonged to my wife's uncle and which has hung in his garage in Glasgow for at least fifteen years. The uncle passed (at 80) away 10 years ago, and remaining family members are somewhat hazy in their recollection of its origin, but believe he inherited it from his father, suggesting it may have been in use in the 1950's or before. The bike received a refurbishment in around 1981, with new wheels, chain set and other components dated from that time, and a repaint which is still pretty intact. The frame has no head badge (just two rivet holes where one was attached, and a frame number stamped on the rear LHS dropout, which looks like "A0 459", though is quite hard to read. I have attempted to match the frame and its lugs, braze-ons and other features to others shown on this and other web sites, together with the frame number format. The nearest match I can get to is a Hobbs of Barbican around 1950 - the braze on eyes for the mudguards rather date the bike to this time, but I am not convinced. I attach a couple of pictures - I would appreciate and thoughts on what this frame might be. View attachment 389583 View attachment 389584 View attachment 389586 View attachment 389587 View attachment 389588 .
Whatever it may or may not be, one thing is for sure .....its a beauty :whistle:

Top Bottom