Trying to identify this frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
According to classic rendezvous,
AO 155 & AO 675 are in fact
Harry Quinn frames , so it could well be a Harry Quinn you've got ,
Dig around , you never know !

OP
OP
Scotstounman

Scotstounman

Über Member
@biggs682, I agree that the bottom bracket raised numbers suggest a casting - certainly not a frame number, but it may be a clue in identifying the origin. I’ll measure up the bage hole centres and post these as suggested by @Illaveago. I also agree that the lugs do look like Oscar Eggs.
Thanks for the kind comments. It’s amazing what some chrome polish and rags can achieve and a bit of a tribute to the deceased uncle who left everything well greased all those years ago. I did a similarly “reactivation” on his old Hetchins and a Raleigh Richmond Lady earlier in the year which both came up a treat.

I’m waiting for a break in the weather to take the mystery bike out on probably its first ride of the century, but it’s too foul just now.

@biggs682 I like the winter bike concept as per your FR Russell - maybe my next project.

OP
OP
Scotstounman

Scotstounman

Über Member
@ozboz, I considered a Harry Quinn as a possibility because of the frame number. However, having looked at quite a few examples so far the frame details don’t match, e.g. lugs, drop-outs, seat stay attachment and other braze ons. I’ll keep looking for other examples. Certainly a HQ would be a great find.

ozboz

Guru
@ozboz, I considered a Harry Quinn as a possibility because of the frame number. However, having looked at quite a few examples so far the frame details don’t match, e.g. lugs, drop-outs, seat stay attachment and other braze ons. I’ll keep looking for other examples. Certainly a HQ would be a great find.

That's fair enough , but I wouldn't dismiss the fact that there could be some involvement with Quinn , Quinn , apparently had some interaction with Fothergill and others , the frame number is well worth pursuing down every avenue , have you researched classic rendezvous ?

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Harry_Quinn/HQuinn_registry.htm

I came across a web site yesterday that mentioned that Dawes had a numbering system which started with AO followed by 4 digits at one point. The site also said that Dawes Headbadges went through 3 changes in design 2 long and 1 oval.
The fact that the cycle maker has gone to all of the expense of having artwork produced and then turning that in to metal badges suggests to me that they were a successful concern. The numbering system, was that the number produced in a year or was a date code?

Top Bottom