trying to lose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
The place to resist temptation is in the supermarket aisle: you can't eat what you haven't bought, but once it's in the trolley the writing's on the wall, it's going to get eaten sooner or later and you have to resist temptation in the mean time. Cutting stuff out is easier than rationing because you don't have to check you're sticking to the ration, and you're not repeatedly reminding yourself what it is that you're missing.
yes. my diet plan is pretty much cutting out snacking between meals and replascing junk foods for better options. my main meals are pretty good as they are it is all the extras that are the problem

Last edited:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
The place to resist temptation is in the supermarket aisle: you can't eat what you haven't bought, but once it's in the trolley the writing's on the wall, it's going to get eaten sooner or later and you have to resist temptation in the mean time. Cutting stuff out is easier than rationing because you don't have to check you're sticking to the ration, and you're not repeatedly reminding yourself what it is that you're missing.

Indeed, never go shopping on an empty stomach!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I work on a 3,2,1 basis.
3 meals, 2 snacks and 1 workout.
I have been very consistent (again) for 9 weeks. It’s helped with chap being away and not wanting chips and takeaways, and I have mislaid 4kg but have gone down over a clothing size and a bit. Can fit into my posh frock and it looks good and have abs of justice :smile:

Also, I never go shopping when hungry and I make sure that I drink at least 2.5 litres of water a day, which includes some squash or fruit tea. I don’t have food related rewards either.

gzoom

Über Member
@phil-b Others have mentioned it but its a quick process, and requires constant mental focus.

Just before I turned 40, I was rapidly heading towards 'daddy pig' physique.

I'm 2 years+ weight is down by roughly 8kg, my diet is OK, but I like cake, beer, wine too much. What worked for me was strength training, its made a noticeable difference to my physique, allows me to be more relaxed about diet, yet a decent amount of body fat.

Good luck. There are not quick wins, but if you stick to it, results will come!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Good luck, it’s the snacking that will have led to the weight gain. I don’t have a solution as I’ve never been a snacker. But do have a think on what good habits you could form to displace the bad habit of snacking / grazing. Maybe go for a 15 min walk round the block each time you get the urge to snack.

Anyway good luck with it.

simongt

Guru
Indeed, never go shopping on an empty stomach!
Oh yes; unless you have a strong enough iron will to resist the legion number of temptations that said supermarkets are continually throwing at you - ! :eek:
Took time, but it now works for me. :okay:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Oh yes; unless you have a strong enough iron will to resist the legion number of temptations that said supermarkets are continually throwing at you - ! :eek:
Took time, but it now works for me. :okay:

On a related note, I find it really helps to go try to go shopping weekly - we plan a menu, write a shopping list (using the brilliant AnyList app), and smash it out on a Saturday evening. That way, you can reduce the time you’re exposed to the temptation, and it also helps that towards the end of the shop I’m also thinking ‘blimey, have I spent that much already? Go easy on the impulse buys, old boy!’

Equally, it is important to buy some snacks if you want them. As my mum (a former dietician) says ‘a little of what you fancy does you good: too much of anything is bad for you’. If you try to suppress the snacking too hard, it can feel like a failure if you slip.

Last edited:

Bristolian

I have made some progress but it is going to be a hard slog

I know where you're coming from and empathise with you as you start on this journey. Been there, done that, still wearing the t-shirt :smile:

It will take time but if you stop thinking of it as a slog that will help - it's psychological. Thinking of it as a slog makes it something you have to do rather than something you want to do and, without any real consequences to giving up, it will be easier to allow yourself to slip into bad habits. Trust me ... I know :ohmy:

I'm sure you understand this but it's worth saying that exercise alone will not result in any significant weight loss, but it does help in conjunction with a healthy diet. What exercise will do is increase your fitness, increase your metabolic rate and improve your well-being, all of which will make losing weight easier and, dare I say it, more enjoyable. What more enjoyable way of exercising can there be than riding a bike?

Whenever I fall off the wagon late night snacking due to a mix of boredom and habit is always my downfall and I find it a very slippery slope. To counteract the desire to eat something I keep a bottle of water or squash by my chair and sip on that instead of heading into the kitchen for my fix. There is some science behind this; the water hitting the stomach fools the brain into thinking it has been fed so the desire to eat is suppressed (or something like that).

For context; I'm a 69 year old, long time obese person, I mean 30+ years of being clinically obese. In the past I have successfully lost weight by following the Slimming World program but being part of the hive doesn't suit me so I didn't keep it up for long and finally gave up on the yo-yo effort a couple of years ago. Since then I have steadily lost weight and am now more than 25kg (4st) lighter but earlier this year I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic with my weight being the major contributing factor. I have always worked better when I have a firm target to work towards so I signed up for the London to Brighton cycle ride happening in June 2024 and also set myself a target weight which will help me achieve the L2B ride. Since February I have lost 10.9kgs (1st 10lb) and am no longer pre-diabetic but I still have a way to go.

Good luck on your journey :thumbsup:

Top Bottom