trying to lose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
my weight now puts me in the obese category and my health is deteriorating so I descided to do something about it but as with most thing it is easier said than done.

Im only two days in. I set myself a meal plan that seems reasonable with the aim of adusting it as I go. (I know that as I do lose weight then I will need less calories to be able to contiue to lose weight)

But im struggling in the evening time and it is not through hunger. I can see I have bee using food as a form of comfort, entertainment and pleasure. Im getting feelings of bordom as well as anxiety and an overwhelming sense of missing out all urging me to go and get the chocolets or make a sandwich. I have resisted the temptation so far.

I am hoping I will naturaly adjust to the new routine over time and these negative emotions will fade but if anyone has experianced similar problems it would be useful to hear any tips

CXRAndy

Guru
Remove all temptations from the house-everything, sweets, savouries etc, alcohol etc.

Hang in for a week, then two. That should break the temptation desire.

Its overall better to increase mobility, exercise than drastically reduce calories. Burning extra calories through exercise also increases metabolism, so you become more efficient at shedding weight.

There are various way to consume your daily calories too, by reducing the window when you eat them also improves weight loss. Intermittent fasting like 18hr fast 6 hour eating window, has many other blood glucose benefits, which in turn improves insulin resistance, a major cause of struggling to lose weight.

13 rider

Guru
My sister has had great success losing weight 4 stone since January, she joined slimming world and follows there eating plan , I am amazed at the amount she eats and still loses weight , but she's eating the right stuff in the correct balance . I think this is the key as she never complains about being hungry
She has increase exercise ,walking mainly but not massively mostly it's all about the diet

CXRAndy

Guru
My sister has had great success losing weight 4 stone since January, she joined slimming world and follows there eating plan , I am amazed at the amount she eats and still loses weight , but she's eating the right stuff in the correct balance . I think this is the key as she never complains about being hungry
She has increase exercise ,walking mainly but not massively mostly it's all about the diet

Camaraderie massively helps in keeping you on track.:okay:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Are there things you can do in the evening that would distract you? Is this area there are a lot of free courses at the minute under the "wellbeing" banner. Not all of them are evenings but perhaps there are some that are an option for you. You might not be interested in knitting/local history/whatever but if it gets you out of the house you'll not be thinking of eating.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mrs ck lost 2 stone when she was told shes pre diabetic , cut out all the junk and small meals , no fried food etc .
For me i am in a similar situation, shift work and stress can see me reaching for the junk and vegging if i am not strict with myself.
Distractions work for me so i can find something to keep me occupied rather than eat....... right im off to go muck about with the latest bike project rather than sit here .

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
mrs ck lost 2 stone when she was told shes pre diabetic , cut out all the junk and small meals , no fried food etc .
For me i am in a similar situation, shift work and stress can see me reaching for the junk and vegging if i am not strict with myself.
Distractions work for me so i can find something to keep me occupied rather than eat....... right im off to go muck about with the latest bike project rather than sit here .
Stress was a huge factor in me gaining the weight in the first place. A recent change of job has helped reduce that

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Are there things you can do in the evening that would distract you? Is this area there are a lot of free courses at the minute under the "wellbeing" banner. Not all of them are evenings but perhaps there are some that are an option for you. You might not be interested in knitting/local history/whatever but if it gets you out of the house you'll not be thinking of eating.
yes I need to find better ways to use my time that will help promote progress. but I am well aware I need to alow myself time to adapt to a new routine. I guess in the meantime I have to suck it up

Jameshow

Veteran
I'm just the same even if I am 5 kgs off my target weight however hard I try I cannot seem to stop snacking esp in the evenings! Wife goes to bed and depression slips in. Particularly during the winter where getting out on the bike isn't as enjoyable as in the summer months.
I've tried to limit alcohol but then I turned to chocolate! I'll even have toast if needs be!

Not easy I know how you feel!

SuffolkBlue

I'm a comfort eater (boredom plays a part too) and I have trouble controlling snacking in the evenings especially when sitting watching TV. It actually became habitual and I needed to break the habit to control it.

I managed to lose 2 stone last year followed by a further uncontrolled and unnecessary 2 stone caused by ill health (sorted now). I am back to a consistent and healthy weight but with winter approaching I feel I am slipping back into some bad habits!!!

I agree with all of the above especially the winter boredom/reduced exercise, removing the temptation and trying to distract yourself with other activities. What interests/hobbies do you have? I can pick up my guitar, try to learn a new song, listen to some uplifting music - these work for me. I also signed up to learn a new language and I research new free tutorial material on Youtube which is surprisingly distracting !!

Good luck and all the best!!

The best of luck to you on your quest.

I can see I have bee using food as a form of comfort, entertainment and pleasure. Im getting feelings of bordom as well as anxiety and an overwhelming sense of missing out all urging me to go and get the chocolets or make a sandwich. I have resisted the temptation so far.
Along with the stress, you seem to have a good understanding of why you are eating. That's very positive.

However (and I hate to be negative)
I am hoping I will naturaly adjust
I am not sure that "hope" is a good enough tool to help you. Maybe "addict" is too strong a word but "bad habit" might apply? The best way to attack a bad habit is with a plan, not half a plan. I think your "hoping" might be the undeveloped half of your plan.

Other activities, distractions etc. are all well and good, but it's November, options are limited and evenings are long.

It might be no harm to investigate this further, perhaps from people with direct experience, bearing in mind that what works for one may not work with another. If nothing else, tic tacs, chewing gum etc. might be a way to replace the comfort and habit without adding to the calories.

Don't forget, if you used food for comfort, entertainment and pleasure you will need alternative forms of comfort, entertainment and pleasure to replace that food.

my weight now puts me in the obese category and my health is deteriorating so I descided to do something about it but as with most thing it is easier said than done.

Im only two days in. I set myself a meal plan that seems reasonable with the aim of adusting it as I go. (I know that as I do lose weight then I will need less calories to be able to contiue to lose weight)

But im struggling in the evening time and it is not through hunger. I can see I have bee using food as a form of comfort, entertainment and pleasure. Im getting feelings of bordom as well as anxiety and an overwhelming sense of missing out all urging me to go and get the chocolets or make a sandwich. I have resisted the temptation so far.

I am hoping I will naturaly adjust to the new routine over time and these negative emotions will fade but if anyone has experianced similar problems it would be useful to hear any tips

Always have a hot drink on hand - I find if I have a drink it might not fill me but it does occupy me. Decaff coffee, cup a soups and flavoured teas are my goto.

The other is takeaways, I'm an absolute nightmare for not eating properly during the day then being starving and ordered some rubbish. I think I have cut this out now by making sure I always have a lunch and a tea.

simongt

Guru
As has been alluded to, it'll be good to distract yourself in 'off duty' time with hobbies, interests, courses etc., which will occupy you and provide goals as such; achieving wee targets and so on.
Have a good look at what's about in your area, not necessarily online; local posters in shops can be a source of interests. You may well be surprised at what will actually 'floats your boat' when you look into it - ! :okay:

Last edited:

presta

Guru
The place to resist temptation is in the supermarket aisle: you can't eat what you haven't bought, but once it's in the trolley the writing's on the wall, it's going to get eaten sooner or later and you have to resist temptation in the mean time. Cutting stuff out is easier than rationing because you don't have to check you're sticking to the ration, and you're not repeatedly reminding yourself what it is that you're missing.

Top Bottom