TSB closing more branches......where is it going to end ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have been with TSB since 1969.
They have announced a further 70 closures for next year
They closed our local branch last year ........beyond me as there always queues so must have been popular.
I am 74 and never been good with computers etc but can just about manage online banking.
There must be many people who just cannot do it and now have no local branch.
Seems as though they no longer care about people :sad:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We have been with TSB since 1969.
They have announced a further 70 closures for next year
They closed our local branch last year ........beyond me as there always queues so must have been popular.
I am 74 and never been good with computers etc but can just about manage online banking.
There must be many people who just cannot do it and now have no local branch.
Seems as though they no longer care about people :sad:
TSB closed a few months ago here too. We now only have a bank of Scotland which only opens 3 days. If it goes there won’t be a bank here. Thankfully you can use the post office for a lot which might suit those who don’t have internet.

yello

It'll end when all branches are closed. It is sadly the future. Our branch (Le Crédit lyonnais) has closed too, we've been amalgamated with a bigger branch some 60km away. In fairness, the only time we went in was to deposit cheques (my wife's self employed so gets a number of cheques) - everything else we do online. So what else can I expect? Don't ask me to grieve for banks though!

But I do share the concern of those folk that are less computer savvy, and it's not just the elderly. These days it is taken for granted that people know how to use a computer and, to use simple words, that's just wrong. Having witnessed my neighbours trying to get to grips with it, it's clear there is no basic understanding of how it works or what it does - and why should there be?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It'll end when all branches are closed.
This. That's exactly what the banks want, there is zero money to be made in bricks and mortar banks, in fact real estate is a bank's biggest cost by far. All that rent, business rates, staff costs, insurance, heating, electricity. HSBC have closed about half their branches in the last few years, I suspect that's the case with most "high street" banks as they try to save outgoings.

I agree with all the rest that Yello has to say, it's terrible for older people or for people who struggle with the internet. Despite coaching, my Mother in law can't even get to grips with the very simple process of buying something on an Amazon app which she's been set up on, let alone the potential disaster that online banking could be for her. I'm not sure there's an answer, but physical "in person" banking is going the way of the dodo very, very quickly.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thinking about this; I honestly can't think of anyone I know that uses a bricks'n'mortar bank.

Reduced demand = closure of physical banks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thankfully you can use the post office for a lot which might suit those who don’t have internet.
Even the Post Office is "changing".
Our local PO moved out of it's reasonably large Main Street premises, and into a small back street place where you can't swing a cat inside.
The result is constant queues outside in all weathers, especially at this time of year. Last time I had to visit, I was in the queue outside for about 20 minutes. Not so bad for those of us a bit younger and physically fit, but not for the more vulnerable and elderly :sad:.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My closest branch is 25 miles away and closed during Covid. I think they have 're opened now but it's only a matter of time before they close all branches and go online only to save money. It's a sign of the times I think. It's something we will all have to get used to. Luckily I am used to paying for everything online so it's no big deal for me but I can understand how some won't like it.

I opened an account with First Direct many many years ago - no branches at all - everything was done by phone (no internet at the time - yup THAT long ago)

It has always been excellent and there has never been anything that I can;t do easier with them over the phone than doing in person in a 'real' bank's branch
When the WWW came along they were already pretty well set up and it has all worked just fine

I do have another account that I originally opened due to an account which paid interest. They actually have a branch open near me but I doubt I go in there more than once a year.
In fact the last time was just to deposit about £70 of pennies and similar - all counted out into bags! The time before that was so long ago that I can;t remember it!

Top Bottom