TT Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Would anyone here use a TT helmet for commuting or even weekend rides.
I know they give a big aerodynamic advantage
What do you guys think

compo

Veteran
I think they would only give an advantage if you have already exhausted all other training and equipment and are looking for that elusive few seconds. For the vast majority of us mere mortal cyclists I doubt they would make a scrap of difference.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The difference it will make by it's self is minimal.
Wiggo got the best time in the TT yesterday, what helmet was he wearing? not a typical TT helmet.
tour10_2283838k.jpg

You could make better aerodynamic advantages by changing your position on the bike, removing lights, bags, pannier racks etc...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I ride to the start of TTs and I strap the pointy helmet to the tribars on the way.

Once I wore it on the commute (evening 10 after work), felt strange- especially since I rode in a very relaxed manner and allowed myself to be overtaken by MTB riders.

Looking at my history of TT times I conclude that the following have a clear effect on my times: training, weather, tribars. No clear evidence of an effect of helmet design- there may be one but it is not likely to be large (as it happens the fastest times were done with a backward cycling cap but this is probably due to warm, still conditions rather than headgear)

On any ride where you might stop- at a junction, at lights or for any other reason a pointy helmet would be no advantage and the lack of ventilation would make it less comfortable.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I regularly see a chap in all the TT gear on my commute. It doesn't make him any faster. And to be honest makes him look a little daft.

Reactions: gaz
There was a change in the rules a few years ago.

The old helmets with the full sweep at the back were aerodynamic aids and as such not protective at all. They were close fitting "head fairings" as opposed to true helmets

CIMG1690B.JPG

As the need to meet the requirement for protection, the shape and style has developed. They are also heavier so reduction in size was inevitable.

Having said all that the use for commuting - it is a personal choice..... I know someone who wears a full face helmet after reading about facial injuries

Unless you are cruising at 25mph for a considerable length I doubt a TT helmet would do anything other than make you look like a d1ck and encourage folk to race you.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
First things first, knee jerk reaction....... fark NO, I already look like a doofus without strapping a cone to my head and crawling through traffic.

Now, more considered response. It's a pointless thing to do for several reasons:

1) They are designed to smooth the flow of air over the head and onto a flat back as in an aerodynamic TT/Tri possition, in any other possition, they may infact inhibit aerodynamics, including when you see a rider getting tired and looking down at the road in front of them with the point aiming skywards. I imagine (could be wrong, I often am) this is one consideration of the Team Sky Kask helmet, they look to me like they maintain almost the same degree of head to back smoothness, but if you get tired and start to deviate from strict TT possition, they dont have a huge fin to catch air and slow you down. The Sky helmet looks almost like a crossbreed of a traditional TT pointy helmet and a track sprint helmet. When commuting you will not be sitting in a perfect TT position, you will be looking around yourself, stopping and starting etc etc, so in fact the helmet will likely detriment you by catching more air then a normal helmet and the fact that it is an awkward shape would probably affect your comfort and head mobility.

2) These helmets shave a few seconds off of a 10 mile TT, when riding in an already aerodynamic position and riding at high speed, at stop start commute speeds, the gain would not be noticeable, and as I said above, will probably slow you down either aerodynamically as they are designed to work in TT riding position, not any other or from the fact they are awkward compared to a "normal" helmet.

3) They cost considerably more than a "normal" helmet in most cases (unless you commute to work in a top of the range helmet already?) so after an accident (which is, lets face it, more likely to happen if you are riding a commute like a TT or race) it will cost a lot to replace.

4) They have no (or at least very little) ventilation, so unless you enjoy cooking your head on a twice daily basis they are not desirable.

5) You will look like an utter douchebag.

There are probably many other valid reasons!

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
First things first, knee jerk reaction....... **** NO, I already look like a doofus without strapping a cone to my head and crawling through traffic.

Now, more considered response. It's a pointless thing to do for several reasons:

1) They are designed to smooth the flow of air over the head and onto a flat back as in an aerodynamic TT/Tri possition, in any other possition, they may infact inhibit aerodynamics, including when you see a rider getting tired and looking down at the road in front of them with the point aiming skywards. I imagine (could be wrong, I often am) this is one consideration of the Team Sky Kask helmet, they look to me like they maintain almost the same degree of head to back smoothness, but if you get tired and start to deviate from strict TT possition, they dont have a huge fin to catch air and slow you down. The Sky helmet looks almost like a crossbreed of a traditional TT pointy helmet and a track sprint helmet. When commuting you will not be sitting in a perfect TT position, you will be looking around yourself, stopping and starting etc etc, so in fact the helmet will likely detriment you by catching more air then a normal helmet.

2) These helmets shave seconds off of a 10 mile TT, when riding in an already aerodynamic position and riding at high speed, at stop start commute speeds, the gain would not be noticeable, and as said above, will probably slow you down at they are designed to work in TT riding position, not any other.

3) They cost considerably more than a "normal" helmet in most cases (unless you commute to work in a top of the range helmet already?) so after an accident (which is, lets face it, more likely to happen if you are riding a commute like a TT or race) it will cost a lot to replace.

4) They have no (or at least very little) ventilation, so unless you enjoy cooking your head on a twice daily basis they are not desirable.

5) You will look like an utter douchebag.

There are probably many other valid reasons!

i Agree lol
For the record i dont want one or was going to get one
Your points seem valid. i thought it rather pointless as well

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Any fractional time advantage gained by the hemet would swiftly be lost at the 50 odd sets of traffic lights I have to negotiate.

The whole point of a time trial is to maintainmomentum and carry speed through corners, this simply does go with a commute.

ushills

Veteran
Having said all that the use for commuting - it is a personal choice..... I know someone who wears a full face helmet after reading about facial injuries

I wear a FF after facial injuries (MET parachute) and agree I look a bit of a knob. Never had any funny comments though and it is probably in my mind as I forget I'm wearing it.

However, I would not wear a TT helmet unless on the way to or from a TT or if it was the only helmet I had. There are plenty of decent aerodynamic helmets out there and who want to be in a tucked position all the time.

If you can do your entire journey with TT bars and balls flat out, go for it!!

Top Bottom