Tube size question - Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suj999

Hello all,

So I'm fairly new to fixing tyres and tubes and one one my mates want me to change his tyres for him on a hybrid bike. I could do with some help on this please?

He had a pair of 700-35 tyre on his bike which was too hard so he has gone and bought two schwalbe hurricane 50-622 tyres. (the bike should have clearance Giant Roam)

I am going to change the tyre over for him, he already had a pair of 32-622 -> 47-622 continental conti tubes. Before I tell him to buy a set MTB spec 47-622 -> 62-622 tubes is it worth trying the 32-47 tube on the 50mm tyre? or will it just not work even if the difference is only 3mm?

It would help if I could use his old 32-47 tubes he already got.

Thanks for your help,

Tim Hall

I reckon the 32-47 tubes will be fine.

Tim Hall

thanks.. you don't think it will cause any problems then?
The rubber of the inner tube will have to stretch a wee bit more to fill the tyre's alleged 50mm carcase. Tyre sizes should be served with a pinch of salt, with one manufacturer's 50mm tyre being smaller than another's. What's the worst that can happen? You stretch the tube so much it fails? I can't see that happening going from 47mm to 50mm. And if it does, then all you have to do is get a fatter tube. Give it a go, it'll be fine.

Top Bottom