Tube Storage

Were these tubes damaged by the cold?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zzpza

I've recently put two new inner tubes on my bike, and before I've even rode the bike, they have both gone flat. One with an explosive puncture (incredibly loud bang) and the other with a not quite so loud bang.

3221454082_d5a189580d_o.jpg

I'm wondering if they both went pop due to the way I'd stored them. I kept them in the garage, and it's been very cold lately (down to -6C). Could this have damaged them?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Is your rim tape intact?

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

yep, i inspected both rims and tyres (also new) after the punctures and found nothing.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
An explosion like that is usually because the tyre bead wasn't seated properly, and the tube bulged out between the rim and the tire and exploded. You may, or may not see this happen. It's usually very quick. Before inflating the tyre, check all the way around, both sides, and make sure that the tube isn't visible (down inside the rim, next to the tyre bead). If it is, reposition it before inflating. I'd be willing to bet that this is what happened. I don't see HOW a tube can possibly explode INSIDE of a tyre.

e-rider

crappy member
I've had road tubes 'rot' within 2 years of being stored in the shed and out of their boxes. Seasonal temperatures extremes in the shed probably don't help. I now keep spare tubes in the house.

Could well be your rim or tyre though, or an installation error - only you can investigate these matters.

02GF74

Über Member
i bought some nice lightweight blue butyl Rithchey inner tubes and hung them up in the garage. when I came to fit them, not sure how long it was, they fell apart presumably due to UV damage.... but then I do live in the sunny sarf.

tyred

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
i bought some nice lightweight blue butyl Rithchey inner tubes and hung them up in the garage. when I came to fit them, not sure how long it was, they fell apart presumably due to UV damage.... but then I do live in the sunny sarf.

Sunlight/UV is very bad for rubber.

Tubes/tyres/other rubber objects!! need to be stored in a dark place.

Alves

Agree with 3fingerjo, exploding tyres can only happen when the inner bulges outside the tyre (or is pushed through a wide gash in the outer) and the high pressure difference between atmospheric pressure and the inner tyre pressure causes it to go pop noisily.
Internal punctures where the inner is protected inside the tyre are hissers or silent.

Top Bottom