Tubeless again grrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Most of my bikes are on 25mm high pressures, and I don't think tubeless technology is quite there for them (and I get so few punctures there's no imperative).
The new Hallett is on 38mm tubeless and works brilliantly. The tyres only need about 45-50psi and the rolling resistance seems no higher than the narrow tyres. Richard set it up when he built the bike, with equipment he knows works.
I think the lack of uniform standards is a problem when choosing rims and tyres. It's worth asking around before taking the plunge.

Jody

Stubborn git
if they don't inflate, it's usually, but not always, leakage from around the valve area, so before inflating, make sure you swish the wheel around ensuring plenty of sealant is concentrated there.

A tyre should inflate and stay inlflated for a short while without sealant.

screenman

Legendary Member
if they don't inflate, it's usually, but not always, leakage from around the valve area, so before inflating, make sure you swish the wheel around ensuring plenty of sealant is concentrated there.

Of course you could wrap some PTFE tape around the valve before putting it in the rim, works great.

rivers

How far can I go?
I just drop my bike into my LBS when I need new tubeless tyres fitted. Free when I buy the tyres from them. Drop it in and pick up the next day. No dealing with the faff of fitting them myself.

lane

Veteran
I think if tubeless works the advantages can make it worthwhile. Its been very easy for me so far with about 3,000km over 9 or 10 months. I can't see me going back unless I start having some significant problems but I can't see what they would be. If it's a hassle for whatever reason (probably the tyre rim combination) then probably best to give up and pop some tubes in.

lane

Veteran
I just drop my bike into my LBS when I need new tubeless tyres fitted. Free when I buy the tyres from them. Drop it in and pick up the next day. No dealing with the faff of fitting them myself.

That's OK but I would prefer to know I could re fit on the road in case I ever need to put a tube in.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Tubeless isn't a faff if you just take yuor time and get everything right and use proper kit - not the so-called ghetto fix which is where folk come unstuck. Yes some tyres can be a bit tight depeding on exact rim/tyre combination. The important bit for me is ensuring the rims are well-taped with a good quality tubeless rim tape then whacking the pressure up quickly to get the tyres to seat in the bead. After that is is straightforward...

wonderloaf

Veteran
I made a fire extinguisher one for a friend, which was very successful and surprisingly easy. This is the guide I used, however I used a topeak hose and chuck with a jubilee clip.
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/bighitte...hetto-tubeless-inflator-for-less-than-15.html
Thanks for the link, just had a quick google and can get the extinguisher for around £8 delivered from a few places so will make this my next rainy day project (I think we may be getting a few of those soon!). I recently threw out my old track pump but just realised I left the hose and connector head on it .. :banghead:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I had already made up the ghetto air blaster out of the coke bottle. You need to remove the valve core though for the air to rush in. However it was still a battle. I need to get myself a syringe , orange sealant has been ordered. Getting the bead to push into the side of the rim took monumental effort and alot off Stans Race Sealant all over my kitchen floor. Eventually got the nice sounding ping of the tyre bead seating but it took a hell of an effort. The coke bottle method is fine but don`t think you can get enough air in initially.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I had already made up the ghetto air blaster out of the coke bottle. You need to remove the valve core though for the air to rush in. However it was still a battle. I need to get myself a syringe , orange sealant has been ordered. Getting the bead to push into the side of the rim took monumental effort and alot off Stans Race Sealant all over my kitchen floor. Eventually got the nice sounding ping of the tyre bead seating but it took a hell of an effort. The coke bottle method is fine but don`t think you can get enough air in initially.
I use an old Stans sealant bottle to inject the Orange Endurance sealant through the valve. I modified the nozzle by cutting the end off and forcing a plastic tube through from the inside to get a bigger opening as possible, as the sealant has small granules in it so wanted to make sure they all got into the tyre! I was also going to use a syringe but was a bit worried about that the size of the opening may not be big enough to let the granules through, and as I had the Stans bottle handy thought I'd try that first, it works well so I'll probably stick with it.
1575552027613.png

Re the coke bottle I know what you mean, I'm going to get a 3 litre bottle and try that to see if that makes any difference.

CXRAndy

Guru
Get or borrow an air compressor, you need a large burst of air to pop the bead onto rim. Also using CO2 is not recommended-it inhibits sealing properties. By all means use it as a temporary solution, but reinflate with normal air

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Get or borrow an air compressor, you need a large burst of air to pop the bead onto rim. Also using CO2 is not recommended-it inhibits sealing properties. By all means use it as a temporary solution, but reinflate with normal air
That’s a fair point as that’s what I have been using. Think we might ask Santa for a new tubeless track pump or an air shot ?? The fire extinguisher is a good one ?!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I use an old Stans sealant bottle to inject the Orange Endurance sealant through the valve. I modified the nozzle by cutting the end off and forcing a plastic tube through from the inside to get a bigger opening as possible, as the sealant has small granules in it so wanted to make sure they all got into the tyre! I was also going to use a syringe but was a bit worried about that the size of the opening may not be big enough to let the granules through, and as I had the Stans bottle handy thought I'd try that first, it works well so I'll probably stick with it.
View attachment 495480

Re the coke bottle I know what you mean, I'm going to get a 3 litre bottle and try that to see if that makes any difference.
Hmm never thought about the 3 litre bottle ? Mind you could be there ages pumping ! Should of bought the compressor out of Aldi’s when they had them in !

Top Bottom