Tubeless compatable or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mucky ass

Can anyone tell me if the Maddox cx 2.0 and rapid rob tyres be converted to run tubeless.??? Think I read somewhere that they can but can’t find where I read that.?

CXRAndy

Guru
In theory any clincher tyre can be run tubeless. Just depend on how good the bead seal is.

boydj

Legendary Member
In theory any clincher tyre can be run tubeless. Just depend on how good the bead seal is.

Not true. The tyre has to have an airtight internal coating before it can be used tubeless as most tyres are porous to some degree. It is true that some non-tubeless tyres can be persuaded to run tubeless by adding tubeless sealant and spending time to get the sealant to coat the inside of the tyre completely, which is difficult to achieve.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have asked the following question on this site before with no answer so I take this opportunity to ask again: what is so good about tubeless tyres ? They are made of rubber, same as any other tyres so not puncture proof then are they?
Please enlighten me.

lane

Veteran
Not true. The tyre has to have an airtight internal coating before it can be used tubeless as most tyres are porous to some degree. It is true that some non-tubeless tyres can be persuaded to run tubeless by adding tubeless sealant and spending time to get the sealant to coat the inside of the tyre completely, which is difficult to achieve.

I don't think this is correct. I think you will find that not all tubeless tyres include a airtight internal coating and some are porus and rely on the sealent - these are tubeless not clincher tyres.

lane

Veteran
I have asked the following question on this site before with no answer so I take this opportunity to ask again: what is so good about tubeless tyres ? They are made of rubber, same as any other tyres so not puncture proof then are they?
Please enlighten me.

There are pros and definately cons. Advantages sealent will seal some punctures so you should get fewer and can be run ar lower pressure. Also different process for repairing punctures which is either easier or harder depending who you talk to. Eliminates friction between inner tube and tyre. They are definately different maybe better or worse.

Milzy

Guru
Please enlighten me.
You get better rolling resistance. You corner better. Lower PSI required. You won’t puncture hardly ever. If you got a big hole on a sportive you can fill the hole with a tire worm & add a bit of air off you go quicker.
Expensive & harder to initially set up but better in the long run. Had on MTB’s for many years, now doing with road.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This link gives a detailed analysis of the perceived advantaged. You may not agree but at least I hope you have an answer.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/living-with-tubeless-tyres
Thank you for the link. I am much clearer about it now.

iandg

Legendary Member
Please enlighten me.

To the replies above I'll add less pinch punctures/snakebites when riding gravel.

CXRAndy

Guru

Its a doddle to coat the inside of the tyre and rim, You just spend 2 mins spinning the wheel in all directions by hand slowly. Make sure you've put 70mil of sealant. All the tyres Ive seen whether wired or not have had a rubber coating on the bead. So I stand by my comment.

Adding sealant whether its tubeless, tubular, clincher with a tube or without(tubeless conversion) will enhance puncture resistance to small thorn, flint shards which make up the majority of punctures. The larger cuts are rare. And remember you will eliminate pinch punctures almost entirely by not running an innertube.

Top Bottom