Tubeless deflation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My Giant Advanced came with a tubeless setup on Gianrt Gavia tyres.

Apart from losing pressure on the rear one time i've had about 6 months of trouble free riding. I did get the sealant replenished in March as it needs doing every few months.

Then I noticed the rear was losing pressure. I got my track pump out and whacked some air in and I noticed the tyre was opening up and letting out air right by the valve (on the outer edge). It has a small cut in the tyre.

I guess I had three choices at this point
1. Use a repair patch on the inside (I don't own a patch - not sure if anything came with the bike)
2. Replace the tyre
3. Use an innertube bin the tubeless setup.

I went for option 3 so I could ride again immediately. Removed the tubeless valve and emptied the tyre of it's sealant. The front is still tubeless.

Can anyone recommend a repair product for the tyre and recommend decent 700x25 tubeless tyres that don't cost the earth as I did really like the tubless setup.

thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For a real split you have multiple options, you can get tubeless repair patches or just use 2 layers of normal inner tube patches. I have even heard of people using a patch and a bit of gaffer tape over the top. For a hole you can use a tyre worms/anchovies.

It sounds like it is just a small hole, have you tried putting the wheel on its side so the sealant can do its job? Do this with the tyre inflated.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My view of tubeless is that it creates more problems than it solves. Well it did for me. I tried it and have gone back to tubes. Tubeless always seemed to be losing air. Tubes rarely do. I am pretty much in the belief that tubeless is a bit of a fad. I have actually put sealant in my tubes. Its a bit belt and braces. But its working.

My Giant Advanced came with a tubeless setup on Gianrt Gavia tyres.

Apart from losing pressure on the rear one time i've had about 6 months of trouble free riding. I did get the sealant replenished in March as it needs doing every few months.

Then I noticed the rear was losing pressure. I got my track pump out and whacked some air in and I noticed the tyre was opening up and letting out air right by the valve (on the outer edge). It has a small cut in the tyre.

I guess I had three choices at this point
1. Use a repair patch on the inside (I don't own a patch - not sure if anything came with the bike)
2. Replace the tyre
3. Use an innertube bin the tubeless setup.

I went for option 3 so I could ride again immediately. Removed the tubeless valve and emptied the tyre of it's sealant. The front is still tubeless.

Can anyone recommend a repair product for the tyre and recommend decent 700x25 tubeless tyres that don't cost the earth as I did really like the tubless setup.

thanks

If it’s failed there, the tyre is finished. I’ve had 4 failures like this on the tubeless tyres I’ve been using. Repairs don’t hold up, I’ve gone back to tubes and clinchers.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm another one who tried tubeless and when back to tubes.

A situation not helped by the bike shop not putting any sealant in the standard fit tubeless tyres at the PDI...

That said, when I bought the Giant it did come with a handful of repair patches - and some frame protector stickers too.

Top Bottom